Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Control Stand of a new UP Gevo unit

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/20/05 13:38
Control Stand of a new UP Gevo unit
Author: CNW8531

Here's the cab layout and design of one of UP's new Gevo units (#5385). I found this "new" old style designed control stand a bit awkward at first, but have since gotten use to it and now kinda like it even.

We're stopped just west of Fairfax, Iowa, waiting for a signal to proceed eastward through Cedar Rapids and on home to Clinton. Just another day at the office in other words!

Date: 10/20/05 13:43
Re: Control Stand of a new UP Gevo unit
Author: CNW8531

Another cab shot on another day, this time inside a UP SD-70M with EMD's new layout and wrap around controls. I prefer the GE's design by the way because it has a platform in front to set your orders on.

Date: 10/20/05 13:58
Author: pecosvalleychief

Dig that tuck and roll seat! All you need now is some chi-chi balls around the windshield!

Allen

Date: 10/20/05 14:02
Author: topper

Does anyone else feel the location of the horn and bell wobble sticks should be swapped with that of the alerter and attendant call, or is it just me?

Date: 10/20/05 15:01
nice work on those in-cab shots!
Author: eljay

great close-up work; very sharp and very detailed. thanks for sharing! eljay

Date: 10/20/05 16:29
Author: Steamjocky

YES! Every time I go to reset the alertor, I end up turning on the bell. A real pain in the poop-chute. Besides, I'd rather have the control stand of an SD-40 or -45.

They (EMD) tried to get it (new control stand) right but as far as I'm concerned they didn't succeed. And another thing, you can also keep the video screens. They are too hard to see in the daylight hours and they are too bright at night even though the brightness is turned down all they way.

steamjocky

Date: 10/20/05 17:08
Author: dcautley

Attendant call button? This gets the maid service, or what?

(tee hee)

Wish I had one in my office.

Date: 10/20/05 17:14
Author: Captain92

Are the horn controls real air valves or electric switches. I do enjoy an engineer that can play the horns!
Lynn

Date: 10/20/05 17:39
Author: X4449

What kind of radio is that in the first shot? It does not look like a RR Spectra, or a RR Astro Spectra. I assume it's not a Motorola.

Jim.

Date: 10/20/05 18:55

Steamjocky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Besides, I'd rather have the control
> stand of an SD-40 or -45.

Ditto for me.

> And another thing, you can also keep the
> video screens. They are too hard to see in the
> daylight hours and they are too bright at night
> even though the brightness is turned down all they
> way.

Indeed. Give me duplex gauges and analog load meters anytime.

Also, why don't the control stand badge plates have light bulbs behind 'em anymore? We can't afford the #44 bulbs? Would sure make it a lot easier to find things in the dark.

Date: 10/20/05 18:58

dcautley Wrote:

> Attendant call button? This gets the maid
> service, or what?

It'll be interesting to see what one gets when one pushes the button if they paint up a unit to honor President #42!

Date: 10/20/05 19:00

Captain92 Wrote:

> Are the horn controls real air valves or electric
> switches.

Electronic switches.

> I do enjoy an engineer that can play the
> horns!

It would be nice if there was a way to "quill" the horns. It's either all or nothing.

Date: 10/20/05 21:18
Author: Red

You state that you prefer the GEVO over the SD70M AAR setup due to the "minidesk" for trainorders...I agree. If it's any consolation, the SD70ACe's, while very similar to the SD70M you show, does have the "mini-desk" for trainorders, and, has two screens like the GEVO, as opposed to the one on the SD70M (and on the SD70ACe, the analog air gauge area is blanked out).

Great shots, both. I think that many who are not able to see the insides of this new power every day like to see what our "office" looks like.

Date: 10/20/05 21:33
Author: Clearblock

Might point out that on the SD-70ACe's, the analog air gauges have been replaced by readings displayed on the digital displays.

As for the radio in the GEVO, it's identified by the name "Nexterna". I'm not impressed by the off-brand name and the cheap, plastic case construction. Strikes me as cheap junk that won't stand the test of time. But, that's just the biased opinion of someone who believes that GE and Motorola are the only companies that manufacture quality commercial communications gear.

Date: 10/20/05 23:00
Author: David.Curlee

Nexterna is a subsidiary of Union Pacific Corporation.

Date: 10/20/05 23:22
Author: Red

Clearblock Wrote:
> Might point out that on the SD-70ACe's, the analog
> air gauges have been replaced by readings
> displayed on the digital displays.
>
> As for the radio in the GEVO, it's identified by
> the name "Nexterna". I'm not impressed by the
> off-brand name and the cheap, plastic case
> construction. Strikes me as cheap junk that won't
> stand the test of time. But, that's just the
> biased opinion of someone who believes that GE and
> Motorola are the only companies that manufacture
> quality commercial communications gear.

The SD70M is my favorite unit, particularly the 5127-5231 class. They do have the advantage of analog air gauges (like all the other SD70M's).

I suppose that I'm equally comfortable with computer displays as I am with analog, and, electronic air brakes as opposed to 26L. I do like variety.

Of course, I had a really good run on a totally refurbished former SP SD40M-2 a couple of days ago. Not only had it gotten a Total Class C rebuild (mid-August, 2005), it had evidence of rewiring work. Had had a truck rebuild...rode smooth as glass. The AC had been rebuilt. The cab interior had been repainted, flooring redone, new captain's chairs added, replacing the old SP cloth seats, Pulse speedometer positioned perfectly at eye level at the right-hand edge of the control stand...no looking upwards at it...good ergonomics in a locomotive built in 1971. A "brand new" vintage locomotive, and, to be honest...every bit as comfortable as an SD70M. I was able to "assume the position", feet on the heater unit ahead of me...it felt good to run a rejuvenated old war horse like this, and I'm glad the UP plans on keeping these units around for many years to come, because they did one heck of a lot of work to it...and the paint glistened.

Date: 10/21/05 01:41
Author: Railblazer1

topper Wrote:
> Does anyone else feel the location of the horn and
> bell wobble sticks should be swapped with that of
> the alerter and attendant call, or is it just me?

Yes, they should be switched. Maybe you have more pull than us on getting them to change it. And get rid of that little desk, on the GE's, that everyone seems to be banging their knees on!! There has been several complaints on both issues.

Date: 10/21/05 06:09
Author: ShastaLake

Railblazer1 Wrote:
> And get
> rid of that little desk,

REAL Hoghead's don't sit at a desk !

Date: 10/21/05 11:52
Re: Control Stands
Author: Steamjocky

Maybe some engineer (a real one, not a mechanical one) should design a control stand similar to the new AAR stand and a decent work area for the engineer so everything is where it should be so the engineer won't have to fumble around or bend over to do anything. After all, this stuff can get old and tiresome after a while if things aren't where they should be. You can keep you video screens. When the sun shines directly on your air gauges and amp gauge you can still see what they say.

I don't know about you hogheads out there but nobody asked me anything about the design of a new type of control stand when they came out with the "Trolley Controls" or the "new" old style of control stand. Did anybody on here get asked their opinion about the new control stands?

What would you think of a standard control stand (like an SD-40) with the automatic brake valve in the corner by the windshield and side window like on an F-unit so you wouldn't have reach behind you or slump over to use it and some type of, and I hate to use this term, desk or platform to the left of the control stand to hold a cup of coffee or your track bulletins. I'm not 100% sure where the independent would be placed but it needs to be placed where it is easy accessible to use without bending over or slouching and for the mechanical people to change it out if necessary so you wouldn't have to lean over to use it while looking out the side window plus you need a place to stretch your legs if you're a tall guy like me.

What do you think?

steamjocky

Date: 10/21/05 15:03
Author: ButteStBrakeman

CNW8531 Wrote:
> Here's the cab layout and design of one of UP's
> new Gevo units (#5385). I found this "new" old
> style designed control stand a bit awkward at
> first, but have since gotten use to it and now
> kinda like it even.
>
> We're stopped just west of Fairfax, Iowa, waiting
> for a signal to proceed eastward through Cedar
> Rapids and on home to Clinton. Just another day at
> the office in other words!

I see a rule violation.

SLOCONDR

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1023 seconds