Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Cement cars-modern

Date: 05/03/06 07:09
Cement cars-modern
Author: bnsfsd70

Hi, I was wondering if any of you could post some photos of modern freight cars that are used to haul cement. I'm looking to see what types of hoppers I'll need for my model. Thanks a lot, Jeff

Date: 05/03/06 07:14
Re: Cement cars-modern
Author: fbe

The Walthers two bay rib side covered hoppers will work well as will the two bay tear drop type.

Date: 05/03/06 07:37
Author: toledopatch

I was going to say the same thing. Walthers' two-bay Trinity hoppers are very appropriate for modern cement service, as is the two-bay Center-Flow that Athearn is producing. The undecorated Walthers cars are on sale right now on their Web site for $11.98. I've been considering buying 10 of them for my future road's cement fleet.

Date: 05/03/06 08:17
Author: blueflag

How modern? Here are links to a couple brand new cement cars. These may be too modern for what you are looking for. I don't believe there are models for these yet.

WW 7533, blt 2-06, National Steel Car, http://www.yardoffice.com/RR/Photos/FreightCars/WW007533.jpg
MCEX 330011, blt 1-06, Trinity, http://www.yardoffice.com/RR/Photos/FreightCars/MCEX330011.jpg This car is actually in roofing granual service I believe, but that same design is used for cement service.

Jeff

Date: 05/03/06 08:17
Author: up833

Two types of cement cars currently in use on the BNSF.
Roger Beckett

Date: 05/03/06 08:24

And the other !

Date: 05/03/06 17:42
Author: rbx551985

blueflag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How modern? Here are links to a couple brand new
> cement cars. These may be too modern for what you
> are looking for. I don't believe there are models
> for these yet.
>
> WW 7533, blt 2-06, National Steel Car,
> http://www.yardoffice.com/RR/Photos/FreightCars/WW
> 007533.jpg

> Jeff

If I'm too much mistaken, the Winchester Western covered hoppers are most likely in use to haul SAND (silica) for glass-making. If anyone knows better, please speak up (yes, they can theoretically haul ANY similar aggregate [if so desired/approved]). But they sure look nice, I must admit!

BN has quite a large fleet of these as well, in many different types and paint-schemes (pre-BNSF, that is). So does UP, NS, CSX, and others. BTW, the above photo of the weathered ATSF 350340 is incredible, and would make an excellent weathering project for someone's pike.

Date: 05/03/06 21:25
Author: bnsfsd70

Thanks a lot for the pictures guys. One of my original intentions was to find out if cars like the BNSF ACF car that UP833 posted are carying cement. I believe that I can find them hauling flour, but I wasn't sure that those cars haul cement as well. Thanks a lot, and keep the pics coming, Jeff

Date: 05/03/06 21:51
Author: blueflag

rbx551985 Wrote:
> If I'm too much mistaken, the Winchester Western
> covered hoppers are most likely in use to haul
> SAND (silica) for glass-making. If anyone knows
> better, please speak up (yes, they can
> theoretically haul ANY similar aggregate ). But
> they sure look nice, I must admit!

You are probably correct. I am used to the CNW using the same series to haul both sand and cement. The older the car gets, the better it shows what it hauls - especially when the load is cement!

Date: 05/04/06 15:15
Author: IAISfan

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the pictures guys. One of my original intentions was to find out if cars like
> the BNSF ACF car that UP833 posted are carying cement. I believe that I can find them hauling
> flour, but I wasn't sure that those cars haul cement as well.

Jeff - Those BNSF cars are definitely used for cement as well. I see (and therefore, I model :-) ) a bunch of them on the IAIS in that service. The second batch of Athearn 2970s announced last month include those oxide BNSF cars. I finally found a BNSF new-image car from the first run, and they're beautiful. I think Athearn's taking orders for the second run until May 15.

Joe Atkinson

Date: 05/05/06 22:40
Flour

Always seem to be exceptions but flour usually ships in an Airslide type hopper car. 40'with single bottom outlet or also a 50' car with two outlets.
Roger Beckett

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0596 seconds