Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Pay

Date: 01/27/02 13:44
BNSF Pay
Author: HighballHenry

Do newhire trainmen on the BNSF (specifically Vancouver, WA area) start out at 100% pay? I know here on the UP we start out at 75%. Thnaks HH

Date: 01/27/02 13:55
RE: BNSF Pay
Author: topper

HighballHenry wrote:
>
> Do newhire trainmen on the BNSF (specifically Vancouver, WA
> area) start out at 100% pay? I know here on the UP we start
> out at 75%. Thnaks HH

75% under the current UTU National Agreement.

Date: 01/27/02 14:00
Author: Michael_SD40-2

New hire BNSF trainmen start out at 75% pay (throughout the entire system). Pay increases by 5% each year for 5 years. The deal is, if you are called to work as an engine foreman in the yard or a conductor on the road, you are paid the 100%. Being called as a yard helper/pin puller or a brakeman on the road results in being paid the 75%. I hope this answers your question. Good luck and be safe!

Michael_SD40-2
BNSF New Mexico division
UTU local 1571
US NAVY (active)

Date: 01/27/02 17:02
Author: deadmanscurve

Who Knows what anyone should be paid. What a cluster F%%k!Wouldn't it be nice to get a paycheck on the 5th and 22nd without the BS? You either did it or you didn't. I did shift work and o/t for countless years. Yes Virginia (39+). They messed up (2) times and the problem was retified in (2) weeks. I have never understood your pay scale. What a bunch of covoluted crap!I would rather play with the kids and their mom. than worry about .2 hours in the few hours I have with my family.

Date: 01/27/02 18:06
RE: deadmanscurve

It takes a more intelligent state of mind to understand the reasoning behind subjects such as new hires starting out at 75% pay. It's still a hell of alot more that you will find anywhere else! By the way, whoever mentioned anything about pay problems? Try understanding the reasons behind certain things before you start rambling stupidities!

Michael_SD40-2
BNSF New Mexico division
UTU local 1571
US NAVY (active)

Date: 01/27/02 18:07
Author: braska

>27/01/02 17:02
>RE: BNSF Pay
>deadmanscurve
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Who Knows what anyone should be paid. What a cluster F%%k!Wouldn't >it be nice to get a paycheck on the 5th and 22nd without the BS? You >either did it or you didn't. I did shift work and o/t for countless >years. Yes Virginia (39+). They messed up (2) times and the problem >was retified in (2) weeks. I have never understood your pay scale. >What a bunch of covoluted crap!I would rather play with the kids and >their mom. than worry about .2 hours in the few hours I have with my >family.

Damn dude whats this all about he asked a question and you respond with that.............

Date: 01/27/02 18:54
Author: imrl

Children, Children. Don't make me give you each a time out.

Date: 01/27/02 20:09

Now, is that the right way to talk to people who are only trying to help a certain individual learn some manners? There is a right way and a wrong way and you sir, are not helping.

Date: 01/28/02 06:40
Author: Conductor_Bear

Michael_SD40-2 wrote:
>
> New hire BNSF trainmen start out at 75% pay (throughout the
> entire system). Pay increases by 5% each year for 5 years.
> The deal is, if you are called to work as an engine foreman in
> the yard or a conductor on the road, you are paid the 100%.
> Being called as a yard helper/pin puller or a brakeman on the
> road results in being paid the 75%. I hope this answers your
> question. Good luck and be safe!
>
> Michael_SD40-2
> BNSF New Mexico division
> UTU local 1571
> US NAVY (active)

Lemme get this straight.. If you are called as a conductor on the road you are paid 100%????? hummm mybe I need to start looking for another job with BN...............

L. C. Wilson
Road Condutor at 85%...

Date: 01/28/02 07:16
RE:Conductor_Bear

You got it! A new hire only gets paid 100% if called as a road conductor or engine foreman. I am also at 85% but will go up to 90% in February for my 4th year at the BNSF. I would always bid the jobs that nobody wanted and would get the 100%. The percentage only affects being called as a yard helper/pin puller in the yard and a brakeman on the road. How do they do it over on the UPRR? I could ask my neighbor back home (former SP now UP conductor) but I don't think he would know. Take care and be safe.

Michael_SD40-2
BNSF New Mexico division
UTU local 1571
US NAVY (active)

Date: 01/28/02 09:58
Author: grande473

I understand, if I have my facts correct, that a person could make up to $60,000 per year as a conductor but this 75 percent, 80 percent stff gets me confused. When I tested an was interviewed for a BNSF conductor traintee position last week, I was told this is based on a $140 day. If I went out as a brakeman I would get $105, or 75 percent. What happened to road switching and mileage beyond the basic day? Is $140 the $100 percent of a new hire or an old head? since I may actually get a chance to earn this money, I am curious. Of course I told them I was railfan. Hopefully that won't be held againt me. Then all of this would be an academic excecise.

Date: 01/28/02 12:14

I think the pay they were telling you is trainee pay during actual training, not being marked up after completion of the course and being promoted to conductor/brakeman. Say, you are on the extra board and you get called as conductor on the next train. You will make 100% conductor pay for the trip. What you don't get are some of the arbitraries such as initial terminal delay, ETD pay, and others since you would have hired out after 1985. Now, let's say your next trip you are called as a brakeman, then you would only get whatever percentage rate you happen to be. I for instance, would be at 85% then 90% next month since I hired out in 1998. A basic day in yard service is 100 miles ($100.00). A basic day on the road varies with the type of road service. Locals have a 130 mile basic day BUT that may be more if actual miles are over 130. Roadswitcher service has a $100.00 basic day and through freight service is based on actual mileage. It is very attainable to earn $60,000. a year. I hired out in February 1998 at Amarillo, Texas and was promoted in May 1998. I went to work in El Paso, Texas and Albuquerque,NM and for those 10 months I worked 7 months marked up at 75%. I had some trips here and there at 100% and I finished the year at just a little over $40,000. Some people may say that's not much but I worked my butt off. Working at 75% seems pretty bad considering what everybody else is making however, I was making a whole lot more considering the hours. There is alot of money to be made out here. All you have to do is answer you phone. Many guys lay off for stupid panty-waist things. That is where you make your money. I don't know how it is on the UPRR but the BNSF has system wide seniority. No matter where you go, if there are junior personnel to you, you are able to bump them provided you are in the position to do so. I can go on forever, but let me know if you have anymore questions. Why don't you like the UPRR? Well, take care and have a safe day. Hiball!

Michael_SD40-2
BNSF New Mexico division
UTU local 1571
US NAVY (active)

Date: 01/28/02 13:57
Author: grande473

Thanks for the info. Michael SD-40-2, there should be an E-mail for you.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0591 seconds