Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > P&W Oops in Albany,OR

Date: 01/19/07 09:42
P&W Oops in Albany,OR
Author: Jefflocal

Here is a look at the Portland & Western derailment on the street trackage in Albany. The BN had rebuilt most of the street running in the mid 1990's. The derailment appears to have happened on a short section on the West end that didn't get rebuilt. The
heavy log cars in this train really did a number on the street. P&W brought in a heavy duty truck to rerail the cars. It didn't
seem to have any problem lifting these cars back onto the rails. Quite impressive to watch. The derailment was cleared by Thursday
evening but it will probably be a few days before the track is repaired and trains are running again.
Geoff

[img::]https://cdn.trainorders.com/attachments/thumbs/178000/P_WwreckOEAlbany2.jpg[/img]

Date: 01/19/07 10:01
Re: P&W Oops in Albany,OR
Author: fjc

Watch out for those pot holes near the track :)

Date: 01/19/07 13:40
Author: roustabout

The ISCO to the rescue!

Train are supposed to start running again Sunday.

Date: 01/19/07 13:51
Author: Amtkrd4man

And I thought when I worked on the OC&E we had troubles keping those log flats on the rails....

Date: 01/19/07 14:38
Author: TCnR

Some rather basic Physics involved in the design of that crane. Nothing fancy, just a big hook and a big lever, painted orange.

How often do log trains operate on that section? Heard something about Canadian logs being sent down to Roseburg, or maybe just a Roseburg Forest Products Plant?

Date: 01/19/07 16:01
Author: fredkharrison

Talk about big hooks! This is good stuff. Thanks for the posting.

Fred Harrison
Central Point, OR
CORPpower/JSS/EORS

Date: 01/19/07 19:22
Author: Jefflocal

TCnR wrote:
How often do log trains operate on that section? Heard something about Canadian logs being sent down to Roseburg, or maybe just a Roseburg Forest Products Plant?

I'm not sure about the Canadian logs. There is usually a large cut of logs on the northbound Eugene - Albany train. I
believe they come from the CORP and go to Rainier for export.
Geoff

Date: 01/19/07 20:41
Author: NFO

Does anyone know the capacity of this Big Hook?

Norm O.

Date: 01/19/07 23:08
Author: upbuddyboy

I predict it won't be long before something like this happens on the very bad track on Front ST. in Salem, Oregon.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0474 seconds