Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Playing in the Dirt With Big Toys

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/18/08 23:33
Playing in the Dirt With Big Toys
Author: imrl

A few years back, we did some trestle repair on the Midland Railway in Baldwin City, KS. We had to backfill an approach to prevent further erosion. We did not have a decent source of dirt on the site, but had some about 3 miles north. Well, we have a train, so we figured the easiest way to get the material there was by rail. We got Herzog to bring out one of their Cat Cartoppers to do the dirty work. Here are a few shots taken by a good friend of how the machine climbs on top of a car. Now, these are steam era 34' hoppers riveted together, so it was definitely a challenge to get up.

Date: 02/18/08 23:34
Re: Playing in the Dirt With Big Toys

next set...

Date: 02/18/08 23:35

a few more...

Date: 02/18/08 23:36

arriving at work site and getting started...

Date: 02/18/08 23:39

and I couldn't let this go without showing the BRAND SPANKING NEW Komatsu WA400 wheel loader. This thing had less than 4 hours on the hour meter and plastic on the seats. The paint wasn't even scratched on the bucket!

Thanks for looking.

Greg M.
imrl

Date: 02/19/08 05:18
Author: soundman

Now that is a nifty photo sequence. Thanks for posting.

Date: 02/19/08 06:23
Author: WrongWayMurphy

That loke looks to have Alco trucks and an EMD hood.
Thats not the ex-MKT morphodite is it?

Date: 02/19/08 06:47
Author: fwwr5007

Date: 02/19/08 09:26

The would be the MKT 142. It was repowered by a EMD 567 using a GP7/9 long hood, but retaining the RS3 frame/trucks/cab/short hood. It orignially had a steam generator, but it's now a concrete block. They also upgraded the control stand to an AAR type control stand. Here is a picture I took just after topping off with a load of dirt and heading south with 2 ex-Navy hoppers and an ex-Great Northern ballast car with Santa Fe 999060 caboose bringing up the rear.

Greg

Date: 02/19/08 11:15
Author: DynamicBrake

I'd say that guy definately know how to operate a backhoe. Could be a record for the backhoe vault. Great series of pictures.

Kent in Carmel Valley

Date: 02/19/08 11:57
Author: 90mac

That dang thing looks like a scorpion to me!!!
Nice sequence.
Thanks.
TAH

Date: 02/19/08 13:03
Author: gp50

Wow, that's neat. Every time we try something like that with our '63 JD 1010 hoe, she blows another hydraulic hose :>|

Date: 02/19/08 14:18
Author: TopcoatSmith

DynamicBrake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd say that guy definately know how to operate a backhoe.

I'll second that ! I was on a JD 350 dozer out at a church project in Chino Hills (CA) when one of the girls on the 416 backhoe had 'er slide down off the top of grade. I hopped up in the seat to use the hoe end to lift and push it back up but one of the times I forgot which way you want to shift the tail end over (thinking backwards) and almost put it on it's side. That'll wake you up quick-like. My friend Fred (now "Michele" ...long story that) was yelling "Don't do that!".
Later I used the outriggers to lean the tractor this way and that to clean out a culvert - two tires, the front bucket, and the outriggers touching leaned way over at almost a 45 degree angle.

TCS - i miss the trick sh..tuff like that

Date: 02/19/08 17:50
Author: upkpfan

Greg,
Good pics. Where's the backhoe when the loader is loading the hoppers?
upkpfan

Date: 02/19/08 23:37

We loaded the hoppers first, then the cartopper climbed up on top. I got my own pictures of the train loading, but had to go to work (damn railroad, real railroad, not play railroad) so didn't get my own shots of the Cat going skyward. I've operated a lot of different machines and this maneuver would scare the bejesus out of me.

Greg

Date: 02/20/08 01:15
Author: Jaanfo

How long did the climb up take? I'd imagine that would be done slowly and carefully, but at the same time I could see someone experienced doing it in a matter of 1-2 minutes.

I like the shot at nowhere too... nice train, and, um, interesting Station.

Date: 02/20/08 03:42
Author: sparky52t

Jeez Louise! I'd have thought that kind of move would have 'voided the warrenty'! Amazing!

Date: 02/20/08 05:32
Author: NSTopHat

imrl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The would be the MKT 142. It was repowered by a
> EMD 567 using a GP7/9 long hood, but retaining the
> RS3 frame/trucks/cab/short hood. It orignially
> had a steam generator, but it's now a concrete
> block. They also upgraded the control stand to an
> AAR type control stand. Here is a picture I took
> just after topping off with a load of dirt and
> heading south with 2 ex-Navy hoppers and an
> ex-Great Northern ballast car with Santa Fe 999060
> caboose bringing up the rear.
>
> Greg

Being an easterner, and having had an uncle who was also into trains that used to live in Lenexa, he took me out there once. It was neat to see the equipment you guys have. I've heard that you guys are looking to get rid of the E's. Is that true?

NSTopHat

He said we were going to the 'middle of Nowhere, KS', I didn't realize he really meant it!

Date: 02/20/08 05:54
Author: kkasten

Talk about hoping you dont blow a hydraulic line when trying to get on top of that car. Takes a couple cajones to do that move. Nice pics.

Date: 02/20/08 06:13
Author: rogerw

Hi all im new here my name is Roger.I showed some of these pictures to people in another train forum and someone came up with this video.
http://www.herzogcompanies.com/rrservices/cartopper.php

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0586 seconds