Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CELX six axle tanks

Date: 11/04/09 15:33
CELX six axle tanks
Author: ddg

What happened to these? Used to see them running back and forth on BNSF between KC and Wellington all the time. I just realized, I haven't seen one for several months now. Have they gone the way of the Helium car?

Date: 11/04/09 15:55
Re: CELX six axle tanks
Author: NdeM

I still see these suckers in Mexico quite often. I don't know where they're generally running to and from.

Date: 11/04/09 17:12
Author: MacBeau

Anhydrous Ammonium perchance?
—Mac

Date: 11/04/09 17:36
Author: papio

Date: 11/04/09 19:23
Author: espee4ever

MacBeau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anhydrous Ammonium perchance?
> —Mac

Acetic Anhydride
(Acetic anhydride is the chemical compound with the formula (CH3CO)2O. Commonly abbreviated Ac2O, it is the simplest acid anhydride and is a widely used reagent in organic synthesis. It is a colorless liquid that smells strongly of acetic acid, formed by its reaction with the moisture in the air.)

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_anhydride

— espee4ever

Date: 11/04/09 19:33
Author: benthere

Is that skull official or graffiti? It looks rather ominous.

Isn't acetic acid a fancy name for vinegar?

Date: 11/04/09 19:52
Author: up833

Vinegar is a water solution of acetic acid (5%)

Date: 11/04/09 23:59
Author: atsf100

When I was working for the ATSF at Chanute Ks. these cars came through there pretty regularly. One morning in about 1973or 74 the Chanute to Coffeyville local dumped three of these loaded cars off a bridge over Santa Fe lake South of Chanute. This lake was originally made to furnish water for the steam engines. A piece of rail punched a hole in the end of one of the cars and the entire load went into the lake. It killed every living thing in the lake, crawdads, snakes, turtles and 30-40 pound Flathead catfish! The lake boiled and bubbled for about two weeks and stunk to high heaven for several months. Santa Fe wound up paying for the clean up of the lake and hauling off of all the dead fish and at a later time for restocking the lake. It was later determined that a worn rubber pad that sat between the journal box and the truck side caused the derailment and they then started a project to renew all these pads on these cars.

atsf100

Date: 11/05/09 10:14
Author: ssloansjca

Glacial Acetic acid is mixed 3 ounces to 7 ounces of water to make 28% Acetic Acid.

28% Acetic Acid is mixed 1 ounce to 31 ounces of water to make stop bath.

Stop bath is used after the developer and before the fixer when you develop film or make black and white prints.

~Steve Sloan

Date: 11/05/09 16:02
Author: Jimmie

benthere Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that skull official or graffiti? It looks
> rather ominous.
>
> Isn't acetic acid a fancy name for vinegar?

Graffiti.

Jimmie Fisher
Oriental, NC
Flickr

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds