Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > you guys are slipping

Date: 01/16/03 16:56
you guys are slipping
Author: johnny468

anyone surprise about the new U.P. SD70M's & the 38-3900's number series. we all heard rumors uncle pete may be ordering more 70m's probably in the 52-5600"s series. but no one post a thread about the new ones coming out of london now. i thought the 50 that NS ordered would be the next group coming across the border. made my week-now if BNSF would split that 800-plus unit 2004 order evenly between EMD & GE all's would be right in the world. P.S. a moment of silence for the U.P. SD40-2's.

Date: 01/16/03 17:02
Re: you guys are slipping
Author: chilli

johnny468 wrote:
<< no one post a thread about the new ones coming out of london now. i thought the 50 that NS ordered would be the next group coming across
the border.>>

Seems engines aren't the only things sneaking across the US / Canadian border of late...

I agree with the moment of silence for the SD40-2 on the UP.....The shear magnitude of the loco orders means they will be gone. Or "new" power on smaller roads much like GP/SD 7 / 9's are now.

Date: 01/16/03 17:02
Author: track_69

Date: 01/16/03 17:16
Author: johnny468

hey track_69 i was responping too that thread. this new order was a surprise too me.

Date: 01/16/03 17:17
Re: BNSF order?
Author: GP40u

This is the first i've heard of the BNSF order. Anyone know what is ordered or has BNSF decided yet?

Stephen

Date: 01/16/03 17:49
The Venerable SD40-2
Author: Michael_SD40-2

Yes, a moment of silence for the SD40-2. I really hate to think that there may be very few to possibly none on the railroad (BNSF) when I return to service. It may sound strange but I just love those drafty, noisy (that's why we have earplugs), unique-sounding work horses. I would prefer an SD40-2 to a "comfort cab" anyday (who designed those anyway?) and even moreso if having to switch with one! They are a railroader's locomotive. I hope this nightmare ends when I wake up. Good night.

Michael_SD40-2
BNSF Southwest Division
US NAVY (active)

Date: 01/16/03 17:50
Author: Evan_Werkema

GP40u wrote:

> This is the first i've heard of the BNSF
> order. Anyone know what is ordered or has BNSF
> decided yet?

At this point, Dash 9's and more Dash 9's.
Nothing from EMD so far as I've read (there
aren't any orange things lurking in the back
lot at London, waiting to spring on an
unsuspecting world, are there?)

Date: 01/16/03 19:09
Johnny
Author: track_69

Thought you were joking. It had been reported on at least one other forum recently that the UP was getting more and the number series.

Date: 01/16/03 19:24
Author: cnconductor

No Evan,nothing in Green & Orange lurking in the snow out back of DD. Drove by Tuesday,the only hoods sitting there are for the NS order.

As for Michael SD 40-2 we on CN have the best of both worlds,Sd40-2's & widecabs on them too!

Keep hearing of that UP order for 100 more 70's.

Date: 01/17/03 06:01
Longevity of UP's SD40-2s
Author: cdub

I would hold on there about any talk of the SD40-2s totally vanishing from the UP. They still have about 300 SD40-2s that were refurbished thru the Life Extension program back in the 90's and are still in pretty good shape. I think this group will stick around awhile, as they seemed to have filled a niche in yard and local service around the system. All the other, un-rebuilt SD40-2s don't have a chance.

Date: 01/17/03 07:15
Re: Longevity of UP's SD40-2s
Author: RRKen

There are quite a few on the manifest service in the mid-west (former CNW types) as well as the life-extention ones. Iowa Cycle grain power continues to be SD40-2's so far. Newer equipment is prominent on most everything else. New CTE's on grain yesterday (5900) and I noted manifests with the new 70's the other day en-route N. Platte.

Aye, they were workhorses, however like any good steed, time takes it's toll. And when it's time to head out to pasture, best heed.

Ken
Mason City, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0544 seconds