Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Omaha area visit

Date: 10/13/10 17:25
Omaha area visit
Author: IronWill

I'll be visiting the Omaha area in the upcoming days and was looking for some advice for areas to watch the UP. I was also planning to visit Lincoln, Gibbons, and finally N. Platte. Is Gibbons worth the visit?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Date: 10/13/10 18:18
Re: Omaha area visit
Author: dlh

Gibbon Jct is a rather bland place but being a junction, you'll see a ton of trains. What's nice about it is the fact that trains round a curve coming onto or off the Kansas City line so all of your views won't be down the long straightaway of the mainline. Sort of fun to watch trains pass over the high speed turnouts.

Date: 10/13/10 18:42
Author: Copy19

We should have another few days or so of gorgeous fall weather with great color. Gibbon, as noted, is flat, but it is the most important junction on UP with more trains than anywhere else. I've always believed a good photographer can get a great picture anywhere. Lincoln is a Burlington town, not much UP there. Drop by the Union Pacific Railroad Museum in Council Bluffs and say hello. We have a great new exhibit on the streamliner era. JEB

Date: 10/14/10 08:47
Author: WichitaJct

"Lincoln is a Burlington town, not much UP there."

True, but BNSF has a big operation there as lines converge from all directions (south from KC, west from Chicago, north from Sioux City, east from Denver and PRB).

Date: 10/14/10 15:06
Author: rehunn

UP is doing spot work between GI and Fremont and the traffic before 3 pm is pretty spotty.
There's ongoing work on the Center Street overpass in the west side of Omaha which at times
makes inbound CB traffic a little sporadic. BNSF is doing ballast work around Fremont and
that's been better in the later afternoon. All in all I guess, luck of the draw.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0368 seconds