Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Action (or not) BHP line through Currie,NV

Date: 11/26/12 18:02
Action (or not) BHP line through Currie,NV
Author: britchie

On a trip last week through this area I was surprised to see some equipment belonging to Short Line Railroad (or at least with their signage on it) sitting at Currie between Ely & Wells. I like this old depot with the train order boards still in place. Is the resurection of this line really going to happen?

Bob Ritchie
Chase, BC

Date: 11/26/12 18:12
Re: Action (or not) BHP line through Currie,NV
Author: Auburn_Ed

Nevada Northern expanding?

Ed

Date: 11/26/12 18:12
Author: rehunn

Most likely an attempt by them to assure their employees that life still exists beyond the midpoint
between Shafter and Currie! There's still tons of rumors about Quadra Robinson and the big moly dig
south of Ely so who knows, might be light at the end of the tunnel somewhere.

Date: 11/26/12 18:38

I also hear that BHP (or others) are closer to actually building a new coal-fired power plant in the Steptoe Valley, just north of Ely. The coal would HAVE to come by rail, meaning the rebuilding of the BHP (Nevada Northern). Wouldn't that be great?

Ed

Date: 11/26/12 19:50
Author: 2ebright

Back in 1968 I was working in the Ely area as a geologist and remember hearing and reading about a new coal fired power plant soon to be built in Steptoe Valley. That was 44 years ago! No power plant yet.

Dick
Roosevelt, UT

Date: 11/27/12 08:42
Author: Labby

I don't think what you saw is anything unusual. For the last two years, everytime I have went by there, the truck and MofW grader/regulator has been there. It looks like they go north with the MofW piece, but not south; ever. The ShortLine did have car storage further up the line, but not sure of that presently. The rail on this line is the original 1906 rail rolled by CF&I.

Date: 11/27/12 14:39

Good point on the rail, when they were handling concentrate all they did was throw more ties under
the light rail. There are spots where the ties almost touch for some distance, took care of the soft
spots and low joints.

Date: 11/27/12 16:20
Author: EMDSW-1

Equipment belongs to S&S Shortline, a locomotive/equipment dealer out of Salt Lake City. They purchased the ex-Oregon Pacific 45 tonner 4501 from Port of Tillamook Bay and it is somewhere amongst the sagebrush where the car storage takes place.

S&S Shortline scrapped the SD-9's on the POTB at Tillamook and at least one at Timber.

Dick Samuels

Date: 11/27/12 17:15
Author: WAF

rehunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good point on the rail, when they were handling
> concentrate all they did was throw more ties
> under
> the light rail. There are spots where the ties
> almost touch for some distance, took care of the
> soft
> spots and low joints.

Just blocks of sawdust for ties. Put any weight on them and they will disappear in a cloud of dust

Date: 11/27/12 17:42

Not really, there were quite a few ties replaced when the NN was handling concentrate some years
ago and much of the line would be quite passable for 10 mph traffic.

Date: 11/27/12 17:52
Author: tehachcond

This engine and caboose were sitting at Shafter in the summer of 2011. Neither looked as though they'd been moved in awhile.

Brian Black
Retired SP/UP Conductor
Castle rock, CO

Date: 11/27/12 18:48

Must not be many rock-throwers out there in the middle of Nevada.....that caboose still has windows!! Nice to see.

Ed

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0976 seconds