Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Black & White in Nebraska

Date: 11/28/12 21:17
Black & White in Nebraska
Author: nwkrailfan

While I am predominately a color photographer, every once and awhile I am bitten by the black and white bug. Apparently the bug was in full force tonight, while searching for some family photos I took I stumbled across my folder of photos from back during Railfest weekend in North Platte. On the 15th I made a mad dash to North Platte to capture all the Union Pacific heritage units at the diesel shops and do some railfanning on whatever else was out and about, running the Overland Route. Usually, I am one that can stand UP yellow, but whatever it was, by the end of the day Armour Yellow was just getting boring! So, I present to you all these three images in black and white...I know not all like black and white, but sometimes, it just works.

1) Empty coal trains stretching towards the horizon on deep ballast and concrete ties...must be the Union Pacific in Nebraska! UP 6760 pushes a westbound empty coal train out of Bailey Yard and under the signal bridge at Birdwood.
2) East of North Platte at Keith, UP 1593 leads a trio of SD40-2's (SD40N's) on a short local freight west towards North Platte and Bailey Yard.
3) UP 8622 comes to a stop in downtown Hershey as it encounters a traffic back up, due to congestion at Bailey Yard. The van to the left is owned by Butch's Steakhouse & Lounge and is stuffed to the brim with cardboard boxes and has developed a couple flat tires along the way.

Thanks for looking!
Luke Lohrmeyer
nwkrailfan

Date: 11/28/12 22:19
Re: Black & White in Nebraska
Author: fbe

Nice work. The B&W does well with the skies. Too bad the paint on some of the units is so sketchy.

Thanks for sharing and keeping the tradition alive.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 11/28/12 22:37
Author: NH2006

Very nice Luke!

Date: 11/29/12 07:26
Author: bcr4601

Luke,great set of B&W shots,not everything has to be shot in colour.

Dale Miller
Langley, BC

Date: 11/29/12 13:53
Author: ALcocentury

Nice shot,and depth

Date: 11/29/12 15:06
Author: ns1000

NICE pic!!!!

Date: 11/29/12 16:21
Author: MaximumRails

Nice set of shots! Makes me want to go and shoot out in Nebraska when I'm out west in a few weeks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0366 seconds