Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Cascades 504 - Salem, OR

Date: 12/06/12 13:14
Cascades 504 - Salem, OR
Author: smu

This is my my first video upload . . . Taken with a Canon 60D. The mid-morning Cascades, on time, at 10:12 AM. I did the editing in iMovie on the Mac . . .

Steve Utley
Salem, OR

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/06/12 13:25
Re: Cascades 504 - Salem, OR
Author: stampedepass

Nice ! Good job...

Date: 12/06/12 14:11
Author: 8notch

Nice job. Hope to see more videos in the near future.
Robert.

Date: 12/06/12 14:14
Author: spdaylight

Nice first effort Steve . . . bet you love the ease of editing in iMovie too . . looking forward to more posts from the Salem area.

Craig
http://www.mcmrailvideos.com/

Date: 12/06/12 14:24
Author: PasadenaSub

Nice!

I just rode 504 from Salem to Portland on Monday. Took my oncoming picture from that same bench. We had 'King Tut' 470 leading 504 that day.

Rich

Date: 12/06/12 14:27
Author: a737flyer

Very good first effort. A stable camera really makes a video stand out. tripods or some other kind of stand is absolutely indispensable.

I was surprised to see the door left open on the car directly in front of the camera until it had gone quite a ways down the platform.

Date: 12/06/12 15:02
Author: fredkharrison

This sure is a fun train to ride. I prefer it over the Starlate. Nice that the rain held up a bit for your shoot!

Fred Harrison
Central Point, OR
CORPpower/JSS/EORS

Date: 12/06/12 15:44
Author: jdb

a737flyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was surprised to see the door left open on the
> car directly in front of the camera until it had
> gone quite a ways down the platform.

Yes, that could be a problem if somebody wasn't paying attention to announcements and wasn't prepared to get off. They could discover where they were at the last moment, make a run for the door, and step off a moving train. In this case it appears that the train is working with a "lonesome" conductor. The conductor usually works by that first window in front of the open door (Bistro) and in this case could have known that all of the Salem business class passengers were in this car and done an annoucement without PA in the Busines Class car. I see that somebody got off with a leg brace which should have had the conductors attention before he opened the door. He was probably aware of the number of Business Class passengers getting off and knew they were all in the vestibule. Looks like a couple passengers are going to board that open door for Business Class. (One might be headed for "Bistro" class, a number of Salem/Portland passengers don't take an assigned seat, they ride Bistro)

Also, note that a passenger that knows how the doors work opened the "three" car door from the outside. (Usually a "No-no") It looks like today the "three" car was the only one that was used for boarding passengers. Usually it is the "four" or "five" car that is used at Salem. Most time the "three" car is the one that is used for passenger with mobility issues. If the "three" car is filled up before Portland and all of those passengers are going on to Seattle on #506, the next crew can have some seating problems. (the "three" car is the one with the lift and 2+1 seating instead of 2+2)

It might be that by the passenger opening the door, things got out of hand where he wanted them and he could have moved them forward after boarding.

You got a rare shot there. The cab car didn't have a flat wheel.

jb

Date: 12/06/12 15:59
Author: Macster

I usually always see a door or two open even with a AC. They start to close automatically at 2mph if I recall correctly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/12 16:01 by Macster.

Date: 12/06/12 18:46
Author: asheldrake

VERY nice video. Love the Salem station and looking forward to the renovation of the
near by original freight building. Arlen

Date: 12/06/12 20:22
Author: SP8100

a737flyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very good first effort. A stable camera really
> makes a video stand out. tripods or some other
> kind of stand is absolutely indispensable.
>
> I was surprised to see the door left open on the
> car directly in front of the camera until it had
> gone quite a ways down the platform.

The Talgo's have a mechanism that shuts the door as soon as the brake's are released. It takes a minute or two, but they do close on their own.. The conductor doesn't have to worry if the door is going to be shut or not...

SP8100

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds