Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Some KCS Around KC

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/20/14 19:19
Some KCS Around KC
Author: UPTRAIN

1.) (At the time) the newest locomotive on the KCS Roster, fresh from EMD Muncie, IN sits in KCS Knoche Yard Track 201, the North Ramp, shortly before KCT Train 311 moved it over to the South Tail Track Pocket. They're only this new once. While this is the newest unit on KCS property, the oldest units are a couple tracks over, KCS 1, 3 and 2. - 11-16-14 Kansas City, MO

2.) Hammering out of town at South Blue Valley, KCS Train B-KCSH-17 has the F-Units on the head end, wearing a new coat of paint applied earlier this year, now featuring yellow lettering and trim in the KCS Octagon Logos. The bridge in the distance is the dormant Rock Island line into Leeds Jct., mothballed since 1980. The GM Leeds Assembly Plant is on the left, which was closed as a plant when the auto maker left in 1988.

Bound for Heavener, OK for the night, the trip is inspecting MOW work done during recent all day curfews on this corridor to Sheveport, LA. - 11-17-14 Kansas City, MO

3.) Laying into the grade at CP South IFG, the train is blasting south on the KCS Pittsburg Sub. - 11-17-14 Belton, MO

Pump

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/14 19:25 by UPTRAIN.

Date: 11/20/14 19:22
Re: Some KCS Around KC

4.) After a brief stop to pick up a passenger,the biz train is again underway. - 11-17-14 Cleveland, MO

5.) The Southern Belle passes the former depot site which the original passenger train stopped at prior to November 3, 1969, 45 years and 14 days ago. Spotted at Drexel Elevator are 4 hopper cars, the first of which I've personally seen in there since 2007. There is no Dodger to work this end of the railroad due to the lack of online business, so this industry is worked by northbound through manifests trains. - 11-17-14 Drexel, MO

6.) After dropping the conductor off at the signal, KCS Train Q-KCNL-17 pulls south at CP South IFG before shoving back onto their rear end pickup of intermodal cars in the business track, which were just set out by the ITS switch engine in the distance. They tie the DPU right into the pigs and handle them on the rear. The 2 trailing units were also picked up here a few minutes earlier out of the siding. This was basically the only other train on the north end of the railroad this morning in the wake of the biz train. - 11-17-14 Belton, MO

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/14 02:07 by UPTRAIN.

Date: 11/20/14 19:23

7.) Bonus image! Two new primer KCS GEVOs, with a primer FEC one in the middle, and two fully painted NS SD70ACe's in the back are about to be picked up by the KCS transfer at NS Avondale Yard in North Kansas City. - 11-19-14 North Kansas City, MO

Pump

Date: 11/20/14 19:33
Author: oilcan

Excellent set of shots!

Date: 11/20/14 20:26
Author: SCKP187

Nice series. Sure is a lot of bright color, and nice to learn about how the intermodal pick up is done.
Brian Stevens

Date: 11/20/14 20:57
Author: tomstp

Those F's are just fantastic.

Date: 11/20/14 21:01
Author: oyw

Damn, you couldn't buy better light! I'm speechless Pump...that's as good as it gets.

OYW

Date: 11/20/14 21:16
Author: ATSF100WEST

Fantastic shots, Zach!

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 11/20/14 23:01
Author: Red

I am speechless! Great light, great photography, excellent documentation!!!

Date: 11/20/14 23:08
Author: cpn456

SCKP187 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice series. Sure is a lot of bright color, and
> nice to learn about how the intermodal pick up is
> done.
> Brian Stevens

Speaking of the intermodal pickup, I'm assuming that pickup is "the" intermodal traffic that KCS runs south of Kansas City (I thought the "M" train had the intermodal)? It sure doesn't look like the intermodal business has picked up much on the north-south KCS corridor? I suppose if that is the train of the 17th, being a Monday, the pickup might be light. However, I do wonder how their north-south intermodal is doing? They started the service a number of years ago by adding it to the "M" train, usually behind the DPU, and after the traffic grows, KCS would run a separate, solid intermodal train. Have they ever come close to running a regualar north-south solid intermodal train service?

Date: 11/21/14 00:00
Author: jderoo

Great photos Zach!

Date: 11/21/14 02:11

The pickup here was fairly light based on my recent observations, but as you said it might have been a light Monday. I did shoot this train a couple months back with 9 autoracks and 42 platforms of trailers and containers cut in behind the DPU, so I'd say the day that it runs as a separate train might still come. The Q-KCNL is a favorite of mine to shoot, it can be a real monster.

Pump

Date: 11/21/14 04:07
Author: jmbreitigan

Simply beautiful post. Congratulations on IOTD.
John

Date: 11/21/14 04:18
Author: rrartist

Simply put, outstanding! Thanks for sharing!

Date: 11/21/14 04:55
Author: oklachaser

Fantastic photos. Congratulations on IOTD.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 11/21/14 05:07
Author: florida581

cpn456 Wrote:
----------------------------------------
> Speaking of the intermodal pickup, I'm assuming
> that pickup is "the" intermodal traffic that KCS
> runs south of Kansas City (I thought the "M" train
> had the intermodal)? It sure doesn't look like
> the intermodal business has picked up much on the
> north-south KCS corridor? I suppose if that is
> the train of the 17th, being a Monday, the pickup
> might be light. However, I do wonder how their
> north-south intermodal is doing? They started the
> service a number of years ago by adding it to the
> "M" train, usually behind the DPU, and after the
> traffic grows, KCS would run a separate, solid
> intermodal train. Have they ever come close to
> running a regualar north-south solid intermodal
> train service?

There are two pairs of manifest trains in and out of Kansas City from the south. The "Q" trains QKCNL and QSHKC carry the intermodal and autorack traffic, usually behind the DPU. The other pair are the HKCSH and HSHKC. I'm not sure what the "H" is for, but these trains pick-up and set-out cars for all the dodgers along the line.

Andrew

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/21/14 05:45
Author: sp8192

Good stuff Mr. Pumpity Pumped Pumper Pump.

Date: 11/21/14 05:46
Author: RAILWATCH

Great photos!! Thanks for sharing!

- Denny, Lakewood, OH

Date: 11/21/14 06:10
Author: Lakota-rail

Those F units are unreal! Wish they would have been at Spencer this past summer.

Date: 11/21/14 07:16
Author: Cajon92

oyw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Damn, you couldn't buy better light! I'm
> speechless Pump...that's as good as it gets.

I will second that. Excellent series of shots.

~Ryan

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0707 seconds