Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Iron horse Trail/Snoqualmie Tunnel

Date: 05/03/15 18:56
Iron horse Trail/Snoqualmie Tunnel
Author: RS11

Took advantage of a beautiful day to seek out a planned hiking trip up on Snoqualmie Pass in Washington State.  My intent was to see if it was at all possible to walk through the Snoqualmie Railroad Tunnel from east to west, then upon exiting the west end to find a way to climb up to the Pacific Crest Trail, then finish the hike to where the Pacific Crest Trail intersected with I-90.  Found out it would be a climb indeed.  Almost straight up from the west end of the tunnel.  I didn't find any "trail" and talking with some of the locals and not so locals they didn't think there was.

Anyway, here's a few pictures I took of the railroad tunnel and the Iron Horse Trailhead at Hyak, Washington, just off I-90.  I'm a lousy photographer but heck, thought I'd share them with anyone who wants to look.

First picture is the trailhead in Hyak.  The old railroad bed is the gravel you see to the left of the parked cars.  It's about a quarter mile from there to the tunnel.

Second picture is the east end of the tunnel.

Third picture is the west end of the tunnel.

The tunnel itself is 2.3 miles long.  It's pitch black inside and a flashlight is helpful.  It cool and damp inside.  It took me 40 minutes to walk from one end to the other.  Here's a link for those interested.  http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/iron-horse-tunnel

Date: 05/03/15 19:00
Re: Iron horse Trail/Snoqualmie Tunnel

Few more pictures closer up of the west end of the tunnel.

One picture looking down on I-90.

Date: 05/03/15 19:26
Author: up833

In photos 3-5 showing the west portal, also called Rockdale, the original line curved left and came to the Pass just below the current I-90. Part of the original highway still exsist near the summit and is on the original RoW..  At Rockdale I dont think you can see much of any original line because there was a tressle...or at least old photos seem to show that. The best route to the PCT is up the power line :)
Roger Beckett

Date: 05/03/15 19:31
Author: foamergirl

I just love photos of old tunnels! Thank you for posting! 

Date: 05/03/15 19:36
Author: alco636

Thanks for sharing! I hope to visit there this year.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 05/03/15 19:56
Author: rrthug

Thanks for the photos.  About 10-15 years ago there was the hulk of an old wood sided reefer off to the side of the ROW near the entrance to the east end of the tunnel.  Is that still there or has it been removed?
Thanks,
Mike

Date: 05/03/15 20:06

foamergirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just love photos of old tunnels! Thank you for
> posting! 

Here's a few more for you.

Date: 05/03/15 20:07

rrthug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the photos.  About 10-15 years ago
> there was the hulk of an old wood sided reefer off
> to the side of the ROW near the entrance to the
> east end of the tunnel.  Is that still there or
> has it been removed?
> Thanks,
> Mike

I don't remember seeing that.  I might have missed it if it wasn't obvious.  I'm going back in a month or so and will look for it.

Date: 05/03/15 22:04
Author: coach

If they could, would either BNSF or UP want this line to be made available again for train service?  

Date: 05/04/15 15:37
Author: ns1000

Interesting pics!! I like that view of I90.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds