Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Fifteen decades pass into history

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/21/18 10:27
Fifteen decades pass into history
Author: santafe199

Someone once said that baseball, another one of my great passions, is a game “designed to break your heart”. I’ve participated in or watched my share of triumphs over the years. I’ve also have had my baseball heart broken on many more occasions. And now I find the same sentiment applies to railfanning. Friday morning the life-long railfan in me suffered a broken heart. The moment came to pass: There will no longer be someone to sell Amtrak passenger tickets in Topeka in my home state of Kansas. Oh, I understand the business side of the situation all right. But I don’t really want to think about the why’s & the where-fors about this deal.

My friend Jim Woods was the man effected. And he has suffered a LOT more than mere railfan heartbreak. His employment, yes, his life has suffered a nasty curveball. He tells me he can bump into another ticket agent job down in Texas, thus disrupting somebody else’s life. Or he may have a chance to transfer into train service as an assistant conductor, thus starting all over again in the seniority struggle. Or maybe he can go back to driving a bus. He just isn’t sure what he will end up doing. Even though Jim is not one to complain, the personal quandary within him is evident all the same. Indeed, there is no joy in Mudville…

1. AMTK 44 has stopped on-time with veteran Topeka ticket agent Jim Woods’ LAST train #3, the westbound “Southwest Chief”. Jim is behind those bright lights on the passenger platform, tending to the baggage car.

2. At 5:36 AM Jim is chatting with a bus driver, his former occupation. Through a prior arrangement a city bus will show up at the Topeka depot shortly after train #4’s scheduled arrival time. Unfortunately today’s #4 is running over 2 hours late.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/18 10:37 by santafe199.

Date: 05/21/18 10:28
Re: Fifteen decades pass into history

3. It’s after 7 AM and the new day is streaming into the waiting room. Train #4 is now figured for just after 8 AM.

4. & 5. Jim “in action” behind the ticket counter, as his last day is winding down.

Date: 05/21/18 10:30

6. Looking SSW from the passenger platform we see approaching headlights.

7. One last time Jim takes his motorized baggage cart out to greet…

8… inbound train #4, the eastbound “Southwest Chief”.

Date: 05/21/18 10:32

9. & 10. Outbound passengers watch as their train glides to a stop allowing them to board under the direction of the assistant conductor.

Date: 05/21/18 10:34

11. The late #4 is ready to depart, but there is a spare moment for a doleful final word. “Goodbye my friend, and good luck.”

12. Jim’s LAST #4 negotiates that famous sweeping curve north of 4th St, with deadheading cars tacked onto the rear end.

13. Jim’s inside now, tending to the needs of his inbound passengers. He is loyal to his job, to the very end.

Date: 05/21/18 10:35

14. 15. & 16. One final chore: Jim has to put his baggage horse back in the barn.

Date: 05/21/18 10:36

17. One final time, the door rolls down. Fifteen decades of ticket agents in the birth-city of the Santa Fe pass into history…
(17 photos taken May 18, 2018 in Topeka, KS)

Thankful for memories!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 05/21/18 11:22
Author: RGDave

Touching and too real these days.

Best wishes and thanks for the thoughtful post!
~RGDave

Date: 05/21/18 11:40
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Lance -- I am so very sorry this happened to Jim. Please tell him I am sorry Amtrak did this to him and many other employees, and that I very much hope for the best for him.

Those are excellent photos of a sad occasion. Yes, railfanning -- and, even more so, railroading -- can and does sometimes break your heart, and this was one of those times.

Godspeed, Jim Woods, in whatever you do. The old United Way slogan applies here, "I don't know you, but I love you."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/18 12:44 by Margaret_SP_fan.

Date: 05/21/18 11:41
Author: Ritzville

A sad and touching story Lance. Good Luck to Jim in the future.

Larry

Date: 05/21/18 12:01
Author: tomstp

Damn !

Date: 05/21/18 12:08
Author: ghemr

I enjoyed your narration and photos very much! Although I haven't seen Jim in over 30 years I still wish him the best!!

Date: 05/21/18 13:03
Author: dan

good luck jim!

Date: 05/21/18 14:04
Author: LocoPilot750

That's my old friend Ronnie Dean in photo #4 buying a ticket. We used to be Carmen in Topeka in the 70's.

Date: 05/21/18 14:59
Author: Englewood

The schmuck standing out in the rain by himself is now the passenger
from the capital of the state of Kansas and the home town of the Santa Fe.

Date: 05/21/18 16:06
Author: stanhunter

Great photo story, but a sad day. The ongoing dehumanization of railroading.

I wonder where the California Comet Cars are going. I assume they have been at Pueblo. Why are they going east on #4?

Stan Hunter
Davis, CA

Date: 05/21/18 17:34
Author: 69440

I hope he can find a decent job. Sad end to a tradition and service that abruptly ended... "you're riding high in April and shot down in May".

Date: 05/21/18 18:28
Author: mp51w

Great shot of Conductor Zaban and me shaking hands!

Date: 05/21/18 18:50

mp51w Wrote: > ... Conductor Zaban and me shaking hands ...

I had anticipated this shot, and was really glad to get it. You'll have to forgive me for substituting a generic caption for the dialogue that transpired between the two of you. I felt it was best to shoot such an obviously personal moment from a distance...

Lance

Date: 05/21/18 20:07
Author: SD45

LG,
Good coverage.
SD-45

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1717 seconds