Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Update on locomotive M & R, at OERM (SCRM) 12/22/18

Date: 12/23/18 11:11
Update on locomotive M & R, at OERM (SCRM) 12/22/18
Author: TomPlatten

This will be an abbreviated report due to the "reporter" leaving early  to catch a city bus home. The 70 cent senior fare was too much to resist. I let someone else drive to back home in all the holiday traffic.
Carl, Frank, and John combined to use a torque multiplier to torque down the crab bolts on the SP 1006 to 1800 ft lbs  as required. For those of you who have never torqued down bolts to that degree it IT very hard to do without a multipler. Even with the multipler it took several increasingly hard efforts to get that magic "click" to sound signalling the desired spec! I do not know if they finished all the crab bolts but judging from the "fatigue" factor, I suspect not!
      I reinstalled the air feed lines from the locomotive to the truck brakes on the 1975, one of our US Army Alcos! These were difficult to reinstall due to the stiffness of the new hose and the confined workspace into which they have to fit. We had to reuse the union gaskets that were into the line as we do not have any of those in stock. The age of these locomotives is starting to effect the availbility of parts.The time may come when a major component on the 1956 or 1975 will fail and the locomotive will have to be retired!
      Dave spent some more time cleaning up the SP 3100 of accumulated fuel from when the FO filter cannister was leaking. You can seen the "lid" of the cannister in the photo on the left. The bad O-ring failed to seal the "lid" properly to the body of the cannister!
Dave acquired the correct O-rings and the filter is no longer leaking!
      I would like to thank all of the TO members who viewed my postings of our activity at OERM during the year as well as your encouragement and, at times, assistance locating parts.

Date: 12/25/18 02:52
Re: Update on locomotive M & R, at OERM (SCRM) 12/22/18
Author: pe1624

Just wanted to say a great big Thank You for all of the info and photos that you post.  I learn a lot more from these postings than from the museum's Gazette.  Keep up the great work!

Charles Brown

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0438 seconds