Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Whats with the Gen Sets in Denver?

Date: 08/24/19 20:11
Whats with the Gen Sets in Denver?
Author: ns2557

Hey all, We spent last night and this morning which  led to an all day venture along the Colo Joint Line south out of Denver today. While it wasn't what one would call busy, there were a few interesting things we found along the way.  Biggest one was these 4 Gen Sets at the UP North Yard about mid morning today. UPY 2747 with UPY 2759 and UPY 2725 with UPY 2721, all 4 sitting outside the Yard Office at North Yard. Ben tells me these used to be down California way, the LA Basin area. He thinks these used to work over near Etiwanda there at Fontana. The so called "Artists" have obviously been at work on these while down that way. He, along with me, were wondering where these units were headed. Does not appear that the stacks are capped on these from what we could see. Also over off of Pecos Ave on the west end of the yard, buried down in the yard were what apeared to be another set of these units. More than the 4 that are seen here. Too far back in yard to really see any specific unit numbers but it looked like Gen Sets. Any ideas where these all might be headed for? Were thay part of a recent UP Auction of units en route to new owners or headed for scrap?   Thanks for any ideas on the eventual destination of them.  Take care every one, Kristie.

Date: 08/25/19 06:02
Re: Whats with the Gen Sets in Denver?
Author: Bob3985

I believe I heard that UP was auctioning off all their Gensets and maybe these are awaiting dispersal to buyers or prospective ones.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 08/25/19 07:50
Author: HistoryBuff

Will be headed to Grand Junction to storage soon to join a bunch more Gensets and other engines stored out there.

HB

Date: 08/25/19 08:55
Author: czuleget

The Yolo short line has about 8 on the property in Woodland Ca. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/19 08:56 by czuleget.

Date: 08/25/19 10:41
Author: PHall

czuleget Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Yolo short line has about 8 on the property in
> Woodland Ca. 

That they picked up at the last auction.

Date: 08/25/19 10:43

UPY 2427 is a former "inmate" of the Fourth Street Yard near downtown LA. The units that are parked there get tagged pretty heavy.

Date: 08/25/19 11:15
Author: callum_out

Those things get around though I still wonder how four ended up in Iron Srpings UT.

Out

Date: 08/25/19 12:10
Author: erielackawanna

I believe from recent reports from a friend that Mead Yard in Wilmington/Long Beach is the only place in the LA area that UP is still consitently using the GenSets. They are gone from the Spence Street, 4th Street and J-Yard jobs for sure (where I suppose they got tagged the worst).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/19 12:11 by erielackawanna.

Date: 08/25/19 14:33

erielackawanna Wrote:
> I believe from recent reports from a friend that
> Mead Yard in Wilmington/Long Beach is the only
> place in the LA area that UP is still consitently
> using the GenSets. They are gone from the Spence
> Street, 4th Street and J-Yard jobs for sure (where
> I suppose they got tagged the worst).

I didn't see any at South Fontana when I drove past last Thursday.

Date: 08/25/19 19:47
Author: pdt

Someone was ranting at me for ranting about the stupidity of the Cal. Air Quality Board....said that the contract for subsidizing the purchase of the Gensets for use in CA, was only for a certain maount of years.  AND GUESS WHAT...the second the use clause of the contract was fulfilled, the UP put the Gensets up for sale.

Will the CA Air Quality Board ever realize how dumb they have been throwing money at things, and being gamed.....doubt it. 

Date: 08/25/19 20:38

pdt Wrote:
> Someone was ranting at me for ranting about the
> stupidity of the Cal. Air Quality Board....said
> that the contract for subsidizing the purchase of
> the Gensets for use in CA, was only for a certain
> maount of years.  AND GUESS WHAT...the second the
> use clause of the contract was fulfilled, the UP
> put the Gensets up for sale.
>
> Will the CA Air Quality Board ever realize how
> dumb they have been throwing money at things, and
> being gamed.....doubt it. 

They'll point at the 10 years of "clean" air that the Gensets they helped pay for provided.
If you think you're gonna shame them you're going to be disappointed.

Date: 08/26/19 10:25
Author: BurtNorton

Those group at Iron Springs, UT ended up there about a 2-3 years ago when each region on UP was tasked with taking its share of laid-up good order locos.  Rumor has it they will be power offered for sale along with the lease/sale of the Cedar City branch here in the next 6-12 months. I'm on the list to receive updates on railroad line sales from both BNSF and UP.  Its an uphill battle for small independent railroads to aquire surplus trackage from the Class 1 railroads.  So far, the easiest to deal with has been CSX.  I'm no GWRR, Patriot Rail, or Watco.  

Date: 08/26/19 12:47
Author: callum_out

Cedar City branch could bring much interest, it has a substantial traffic base.

Out

Date: 08/27/19 09:24
Author: ble692

The UP is moving their entire GS21B fleet to Grand Junction, CO for storage. The four pictured on this thread were some of the last that were still in service. Currently only UPY 2729, 2730, 2742, 2752, 2754, 2758 remain in service in Southern California.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0612 seconds