Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > St. Louis, MO to Topeka, KS railfan hotspots

Date: 03/21/20 20:46
St. Louis, MO to Topeka, KS railfan hotspots
Author: bath_wildcat

Hello all, 

I rarely post on the western board, but being im overnighting in St. Louis on my way to Topeka, KS with my wife to her grandparents I was wondering if there are any really good hotspots along this stretch.  Im looking for pretty much anything KCS, BNSF, UP, you name it. I see the eastern side of stuff all the time as Im based at CD 253 on the NS Chicago Line through Port Clinton, Ohio.  Its my first foray into the western side of things being im a eastern guy.  

IF any of you want to meet up with me look for the 2020 Dodge Challenger with Ohio custom plates BMAN as its a nod to my grandparents as beekeepers.  

Thankjs to all for the help. 

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 03/22/20 07:18
Re: St. Louis, MO to Topeka, KS railfan hotspots
Author: MSE

The best spots in the St. Louis are in neighborhoods that are sketchy, at best. 

My favorite spots in Kansas City are:
  • Urban: Stand on the Main Street or Grand Ave. bridges east of Union Station.
  • Rural: BNSF control point Holiday in rural northern Johnson Co. (map nearby). 
  • Suburban: Heavy UPRR in Edwardsville in Wyandotte Co. 

Date: 03/22/20 09:09
Author: millerdc

Kansas City is the hot spot on your trip:
1.  The bridge at KC Union Station (plus the great Lydia's restaurant right there)
2.  Santa Fe Junction where you probably see more trains per hour than any place on your route.  See it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhrW-bLdByk

Date: 03/22/20 10:29
Author: santafe199

For best sunlight/shooting angles & opportunities I would suggest the SFe Junction area in the morning and the Old Union Depot Interlocking area in the afternoon. Both places have non-risky parking available and both are in the West Bottoms. I apologize for not yet having the talent to post handy direction map... :^(

Lance/199

Date: 03/22/20 13:51
Author: bmarti7

Agreed-Santa Fe Jct. -the best. Heading westbound get off turnpike at East Lawrence and take US 24 west to Topeka - following UP double track. In Topeka-Porubsky's Grocery. (Google it). UP main plus best pastrami sandwich west of NYC.

there are some great TO guys in Topeka. Have a great trip.

BB 

Date: 03/22/20 14:43
Author: sd39

Do a map search for Holmes Dry Wall, Kansas City Missouri and that will take you directly to Santa Fe Jct and the surrounding area.

Clarence

Date: 03/22/20 15:00
Author: arrowspatial

The busy UP Mainline along the Missouri River. Double track till it splits just west of Jefferson City, MO.
Great overhead bridge at Jeff City;
Good spot at Hermann,MO in the middle of a cute town with wineries nearby.
Also Washington, MO next to mainline

Date: 03/22/20 15:03
Author: zfan

Santa Fe Jct. looks like train watching heaven.  And you can legally access it. 

Date: 03/22/20 18:54
Author: Alco251

Don’t forget Kirkwood station in suburban St. Louis.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/23/20 06:27
Author: djm448

Pacific, Missouri is located along Interstate 44 and provides a great spot to catch the UP and BNSF main lines, right where they run parallel and split. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0444 seconds