Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Toto Tuesday: One 'elephant' from every town

Date: 06/15/21 09:43
Toto Tuesday: One 'elephant' from every town
Author: santafe199

If you don’t know anything about playing live poker, just skip this paragraph. I first heard the phrase one dog from every town while learning how to play live Texas Hold’em & Omaha hi/hi-low split up in Montana. After the deal there comes what is called ‘the flop’. These are 3 community cards in the middle of the table face-up. Combined with their own hands, they can be used by all players seated at the table to make the best hand possible. Whenever the flop comes in what we railfans would call a “rainbow” poker players will sardonically use the phrase: “now there’s one dog from every town!”, or some variation thereof. In other words, the 3 cards flopped are about as far apart in suite & ranking as possible

Back in 2013 when this consist rolled by me down in the Flint Hills near Matfield Green I immediately recalled the phrase used by those satirical players. In this case we combine the poker phrase with a favorite railfan engine consist description known as “elephant-style”. Further combine that with the 4 uniquely separate paint schemes and you get my thread title. If any further explanation is required I will be forced to charge a nickel per word... ;^)

1. BNSF 5168 leads Red & Silver BNSF 731, UP 7760 & NS 8925 hauling a manifest about to go by the westbound approach signal to Matfield Green, KS.
Photo date is March 31, 2013.

I’ll see your nickel & raise you a dime!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 06/15/21 11:04
Re: Toto Tuesday: One 'elephant' from every town
Author: monaddave

When you guys run out of low light options, I can see this being the next skirmish with Mr. Winslow. Color combos in daylight.

DAF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/21 11:05 by monaddave.

Date: 06/15/21 11:28
Author: santafe199

monaddave Wrote: > ... When you guys run out of low light options ...

Au contraire, Bob-a-loo! Mr Winslow has let it be known (to me) that he has a virtually inexhaustible stock of low light images. So I think what he really means is: When it comes to Low Light, he's completely full of it. And in my ongoing RR digital image rebuild labors I am getting a quick glance at every image I have. So in that respect, I will end up with a similarly bountiful trove of low light images to pick from. So there's NO WAY I'll allow that Low Light geezer to get a jump on me! I can be just as full of it as he can...  ;^)

LFG (aka Bubba-loo #2)

Date: 06/15/21 12:25
Author: UP951West

Lance, that's quite a catch ! 
Hope to see you at the Heartlands slide show this Saturday at Carona, KS  11 am - 5PM  .   --Kelly

Date: 06/15/21 16:51
Author: Ritzville

NICE variety on the Power! great catch Lance!

Larry

Date: 06/15/21 22:00
Author: ATSFSuperChief

Any shot with a Warbonnet thrills me as a diehard Santa Fe fan and follower. Thanks Lance!

Don Allender

Date: 06/16/21 16:19
Author: texchief1

That is one neat shot, Lance!

RC Lundgren

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0479 seconds