Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sandpoint Burlington Northern Railroad Station

Date: 10/03/22 22:23
Sandpoint Burlington Northern Railroad Station
Author: redberan4449

Over the weekend, I visited Sandpoint, Idaho which is a major choke-point for cross-country rail traffic. 
1.  Sandpoint Burlington Northern Railroad Station - In this photo, you can see three "westbound" tracks that funnel down to one.  
2.  Looking south of the station at Lake Pend Oreille (pahn' duh ray) - BNSF on the left; US-95 on the right.  As many of you know, construction work continues on an adjacent rail bridge for one additional track.  
3.  To the east (left) of the train station, you will see residential properties.  It is my understanding that the second track will not affect continued operations at the train station, the oldest remaining active passenger depot of the Northern Pacific Railway.  It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.   Currently, the eastbound and the westbound Empire Builder trains make their only stops after midnight each day. 

Date: 10/04/22 04:08
Re: Sandpoint Burlington Northern Railroad Station
Author: AndyBrown

Great photos of a very interesting location!  Many times an interesting post on Trainorders sends me right over to Google sateillite views for the  big picture, as this one did.

Andy

Date: 10/04/22 07:11
Author: zaltwsp7

Great report and really nice photos!
I hope you had a nice visit.
Thank you for sharing
-Andy

Date: 10/04/22 07:27
Author: Pacific5th

I have been curious what they will do with a second track here. My guess is the existing platform is removed and the second track is pushed through that area with a new platform and waiting area on the east side of the depot. Oh and the bridge is getting closer. Looked like about 70% of it had track panels on it and they finished the dirt work for the east side aproach. 

Date: 10/04/22 09:45
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE and interesting series!

Larry

Date: 10/04/22 10:33
Sandpoint Burlington Northern Railroad Station
Author: Fiftyfooter

Was this station moved from its original location ever?  Or has it always been there? 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/22 10:53 by Fiftyfooter.

Date: 10/04/22 12:10
Author: NWRail

How is the new bridge work progressing?  Anyone know when it's supposed to open?

Date: 10/04/22 12:21
Author: zorz

NWRail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How is the new bridge work progressing?  Anyone
> know when it's supposed to open?

Sometime next year apparently. Tracklaying should be starting soon if it hasn't already, according to RailwayAge: https://www.railwayage.com/mw/bnsf-sandpoint-bridge-enters-home-stretch/

The last thing they need to really open capacity is the bridge across the Spokane River just east of the yard. The article says grading work has begun, but has anyone taken pics lately?

(Paging FunnelFan, paging Doctor FunnelFan. Please pick up the Cascade Green courtesy phone...)

Date: 10/04/22 13:32
Author: Pacific5th

Like I said above they have track panels on most of the bridge. They also have a switch on the ground between the bridge and the depot. I heard a rumor they wanted the bridge open before winter so I could see them rushing the bridge to completion pretty quick. Removing the CP at East Algoma and putting in a plant just east of the bridge then finishing between there and Sandpoint Jct next year.

Date: 10/04/22 14:20
Author: funnelfan

Fiftyfooter Wrote:
> Was this station moved from its original location
> ever?  Or has it always been there? 

The station is still in it's original location. As for as the Spokane River bridge, a part of that project is to start in early 2024. The existing Pines road crossing will be replaced with a new underpass east of the crossing with a roundabout intersection on Trent Ave. My understanding of that project is they will construct the overpass for the new north main track first that eventually be the approach to the new Spokane River Bridge, Then when that overpass is complete they will shift the exsisting main track over to it and build the overpass on the current mainline alingment. That will give BNSF the two overpasses over Pines Rd needed for the approach to the new Spokane River Bridge. The current overpass project at Barker Rd allows for the second main track there and when complete the Flora Rd level crossing will be closed. BNSF won't start to pursue the Spokane River Bridge project until the Pines Rd project is underway and the Lake Pend Oreille Bridge is finished.

https://www.spokanevalley.org/pinesbnsf

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/22 14:29 by funnelfan.

Date: 10/04/22 15:29
Author: jayman

NWRail Wrote:
> How is the new bridge work progressing?  Anyone
> know when it's supposed to open?

According to the Keep Sandpoint Rolling site the recent update as of September my understanding they are already track laying on the new bridge and plan to have the bridge in service by November.
https://keepsandpointrolling.com/project-updates/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/22 15:29 by jayman.

Date: 10/04/22 17:12
Author: czephyr17

Did I not read somewhere that when the new bridge at Sandpoint opens, BNSF is going to take the old bridge out of service to rebuild it? That would explain why they are taking their time building the second main past the depot.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/04/22 19:26
Author: wyeth

Correct.

Date: 10/04/22 21:43

Pacific5th Wrote:
> I have been curious what they will do with a
> second track here. My guess is the existing
> platform is removed and the second track is pushed
> through that area with a new platform and waiting
> area on the east side of the depot. Oh and the
> bridge is getting closer. Looked like about 70% of
> it had track panels on it and they finished the
> dirt work for the east side aproach. 

I was unable to find any specific details for the station's future.  However, I understand that BNSF spent approximately one million dollars to refurbish the station to meet current building codes.  That is quite a commitment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/22 05:57 by redberan4449.

Date: 10/05/22 05:59
Author: JGE_Trainfan

Date: 10/05/22 06:12

Sure looks like Google is becoming a railfan.

Date: 10/05/22 08:29
Author: mapboy

redberan4449 Wrote:
> Sure looks like Google is becoming a railfan.

Google helps me a lot with his aerials and street views, one of the best ways to find viewpoints, parking and rail spurs.

mapboy

Date: 10/05/22 09:14

Like you, I have used Google Earth to look at locations around Mullan Pass in Montana recently.
Big help.

Date: 10/05/22 15:36
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0936 seconds