Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > "Blame railroad greed for strike threat"

Date: 11/30/22 05:12
"Blame railroad greed for strike threat"
Author: masterphots

So says Michael Hiltzik in his LA Times column this morning, on page A2.   He rips railroad management,  both houses of Congress, and Biden for their actions in forcing a settlement.  He points out that while a majority of unions voted yes,  a majority of workers voted no.  He goes on to say union 'demands'  while management 'offers'  and this bias is parroted by the press.   He then goes back in history to the Pullman strike and what took place then.   He continues to say the railroads project it would cost them $668 million to grant 15 days paid sick leave,  while making billions in profit.  He then adds that the USA is one of a very few countries that don't require paid sick leave,  putting us in a group that includes Somalia.   All in all,   a great take on things in my opinion.   How about,  come December 9,  all engine crews call in sick?  Then what, Fritzie and Co?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/22 06:45 by masterphots.

Date: 11/30/22 05:21
My letter to our congressman
Author: INTLRAILTRAVELLER

This is what I sent them opposing this continuing refusal to negotiate fairly.

I am writing to express my concerns regarding the potential legislative end to the upcoming railroad job action. I do believe that a strike would be devastating to our economy however simply ordering the crews back to work under the already rejected contract will create a situation as disruptive as any strike and likely worse.
In the areas I'm familiar with, a significant percentage of the operating crews are eligible to retire. Numerous operating crew members I've discussed this with are saying if this rejected contract gets forced on them, it will be the final straw. They will work one final trip so they don't get in legal difficulty by refusing the order to return to work and retire . Even if only 40% are eligible to retire and half of them go over the next few months that is a loss of 20% of the entire roster which none of the carriers can afford. Especially when coupled with a remaining workforce that is completely demoralized.
I believe that ordering only one side's compliance in this dispute is going to result in an outcome worse than any strike due to permanent losses of experienced workers and further disruptions to our supply chains and economy.
Please do not just rubber-stamp the rejected contract instead bring basic employment rights to the rail industry including paid sick leave, a fatigue program, and quality of life for the people that are moving America.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/30/22 05:41
Re: My letter to our congressman
Author: Drknow

It wasn’t even about paid sick leave!!!!!!

It’s about the cult of PSR and the road to the draconian availability policies that started 10 years ago.

Why haven’t the unions stated that to the press?!?!?! We didn’t even talk about paid LS, crew consists and availability were the main points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you tell I’m frustrated?

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/30/22 07:17
Re: "Blame railroad greed for strike threat"
Author: MirandaDepot

The article was written by Michael Hiltzik, who is (to be kind) not an objective observer of anything. He has his strong views and his writing should be viewed as one person's opinion. 

Date: 11/30/22 07:41
Author: Rover

"A letter from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to Democratic colleagues promised two votes, reflecting the consternation she was hearing from members. The first vote will be on adopting the tentative labor agreement. The second will be on a measure to add seven days of paid sick leave for railroaders to the agreement."

https://apnews.com/article/business-economy-strikes-congress-government-and-politics-055609b54cfd5d21de0f42fccddff22b

(I also posted this in the Nov. 28th thread, which is where the main discussion is happening...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/22 16:35 by Rover.

Date: 11/30/22 07:53
Author: Alf3985

MirandaDepot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The article was written by Michael Hiltzik, who is
> (to be kind) not an objective observer of
> anything. He has his strong views and his writing
> should be viewed as one person's opinion. 

totally agree, no need to try and be kind. It would be lost in him. I have no dog in this disagreement other than any other consumer.  Would someone please clarify for me are the unions seeking an additional 7 days of sick leave, or are there no days under the current contract and they are seeking 7/days total. Thank you.

Date: 11/30/22 08:30
Author: masterphots

To me,  when huge corporations do their best to treat employees like something out of Charles Dickens,  they need to be called out.  Some may not like the messenger but facts are facts.

Date: 11/30/22 10:41
Re: My letter to our congressman
Author: ironmtn

Drknow Wrote:
> It wasn’t even about paid sick leave!!!!!!
>
> It’s about the cult of PSR and the road to the
> draconian availability policies that started 10
> years ago.
>
> Why haven’t the unions stated that to the
> press?!?!?! We didn’t even talk about paid LS,
> crew consists and availability were the main
> points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Can you tell I’m frustrated?

You bet I can. And rightly so. Some of us knew this was all about attendance policies and other cut-to-the-bone policies all along. I sure did, and have addressed my congressional representatives forcefully from that perspective now several times. And I've leaned on them -- hard. And have and will hold them accountable at the polls. And I feel confident that there are others on this board, non-railroaders like me, who feel the same way, and have also let their congressional representatives know it.

MC

Date: 11/30/22 12:31
Author: TAW

MirandaDepot Wrote:
> The article was written by Michael Hiltzik, who is
> (to be kind) not an objective observer of
> anything. He has his strong views and his writing
> should be viewed as one person's opinion. 

One might observe that any editorial content is opinion. As well, when rails refer to their working conditions as Draconian, it's opinion.

Being opinion does not necessarily invalidate what was said.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/30/22 12:35
Author: Lackawanna484

TAW Wrote:
> MirandaDepot Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The article was written by Michael Hiltzik, who
> is
> > (to be kind) not an objective observer of
> > anything. He has his strong views and his
> writing
> > should be viewed as one person's opinion. 
>
> One might observe that any editorial content is
> opinion. As well, when rails refer to their
> working conditions as Draconian, it's opinion.
>
> Being opinion does not necessarily invalidate what
> was said.
>
> Posted from Android

A person's frame of reference also impacts whether they perceive a rule or practice as Draconian.  A 24 year old trainee conductor might see the railroad process as a cruel mess, while a 24 year veteran might just see it as business as usual. Which might be why so many new hires turn around and walk out the door in their first few months.

Date: 11/30/22 12:45
Author: sp3204

As a 40 year retired RR employee, all in engine service with a son who is an engineer and a son who is a conductor I have definitely kept up on this agreement situation. They both work for a company who paints their locomotives yellow. Now I suppose this could apply to all the railroads but I am told that once the backpay is in the bank accounts there could be a fair number of employees who have had enough and will "pull the pin". This will make an already bad situation of shortages of crews even worse.

Date: 11/30/22 14:05
Author: oneblock

sp3204 Wrote:
> As a 40 year retired RR employee, all in engine
> service with a son who is an engineer and a son
> who is a conductor I have definitely kept up on
> this agreement situation. They both work for a
> company who paints their locomotives yellow. Now I
> suppose this could apply to all the railroads but
> I am told that once the backpay is in the bank
> accounts there could be a fair number of employees
> who have had enough and will "pull the pin". This
> will make an already bad situation of shortages of
> crews even worse.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        At least the up coming recession will nullify the effects of the crew shortages!

Date: 11/30/22 19:00
Author: Soo715

Good radio piece today on Democracy Now! featuring Ron Kamikow of Railway Workers United
https://www.democracynow.org/2022/11/30/railroad_workers_rail_strike_unions_biden

Date: 12/01/22 02:02
Author: bobwilcox

The basic fact is railroads need qualified people to run trains in 2023.  How do they propose to attract people after the dust has settled?

sp3204 Wrote:
> As a 40 year retired RR employee, all in engine
> service with a son who is an engineer and a son
> who is a conductor I have definitely kept up on
> this agreement situation. They both work for a
> company who paints their locomotives yellow. Now I
> suppose this could apply to all the railroads but
> I am told that once the backpay is in the bank
> accounts there could be a fair number of employees
> who have had enough and will "pull the pin". This
> will make an already bad situation of shortages of
> crews even worse.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 12/01/22 06:51
Author: Drknow

bobwilcox Wrote:
> The basic fact is railroads need qualified people
> to run trains in 2023.  How do they propose to
> attract people after the dust has settled?
>
> sp3204 Wrote:
> -----
> > As a 40 year retired RR employee, all in engine
> > service with a son who is an engineer and a son
> > who is a conductor I have definitely kept up on
> > this agreement situation. They both work for a
> > company who paints their locomotives yellow. Now
> I
> > suppose this could apply to all the railroads
> but
> > I am told that once the backpay is in the bank
> > accounts there could be a fair number of
> employees
> > who have had enough and will "pull the pin".
> This
> > will make an already bad situation of shortages
> of
> > crews even worse.

Why haven’t you heard?! Convoys of self driving trucks are just over the hill and the Carrier’s don’t even need us lazy ol’ railroaders anymore.

Robots and trucks was the mantra just a year ago or so. But now the Carrier’s need the Government to step in and force Rails to work or it all comes crashing down? 🤨

My bullshit alert system is blowing like a air raid siren.

Bunch of hypocritical liars and manipulators.

Solidarity and regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/01/22 11:29
Author: wyeth

bobwilcox Wrote:
> The basic fact is railroads need qualified people
> to run trains in 2023.  How do they propose to
> attract people after the dust has settled?
>
> sp3204 Wrote:
> -----
> > As a 40 year retired RR employee, all in engine
> > service with a son who is an engineer and a son
> > who is a conductor I have definitely kept up on
> > this agreement situation. They both work for a
> > company who paints their locomotives yellow. Now
> I
> > suppose this could apply to all the railroads
> but
> > I am told that once the backpay is in the bank
> > accounts there could be a fair number of
> employees
> > who have had enough and will "pull the pin".
> This
> > will make an already bad situation of shortages
> of
> > crews even worse.

I've heard this a lot in my terminal, that many plan to leave when they get their back pay.  I suspect that will not be the case:  I bet many will have second thoughts on quitting once they see that money and start thinking seriously about the consequences of cutting themselves off from that money.  In addition, the labor markets are starting to contract with many signs that it's going to go downhill soon, maybe at a rapid pace.  Couple that with a recession, there are going to be a lot fewer choices out there to replace their rail jobs.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1266 seconds