Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > loss of a railfan

Date: 02/07/04 08:26
loss of a railfan
Author: grande473

My dad died last Thursday. He was as responsible as any one from getting me interested in railroads. Usually he would take us to ``first light'' which was an automatic block signal just west of Pueblo on the Tennessee Pass line. This was before the lake. We thought is was the first light west of the Pueblo yard, hence the name. If it was yellow or red, we stayed.
I told my brother it was something from him to humor the young railfans. ``I think he enjoyed it too,'' he said.

Date: 02/07/04 08:37
Re: loss of a railfan
Author: gladhand

grande473 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My dad died last Thursday. He was as responsible
> as any one from getting me interested in
> railroads. Usually he would take us to ``first
> light'' which was an autmatic block signal just
> west of Pueblo on the Tennessee Pass line. this
> was before the lake. We thought is was the first
> light west of the Pueblo yard, hence the name. If
> it was yellow or red, we stayed.
> I told my brother it was something from him to
> humor the young railfans. ``I think he enjoyed it
> too,'' he said.

My condolences to you & yours. I wish I could say that time will diminish your grief, unfortunately that isn' true.

Date: 02/07/04 08:37
Author: ChrisG

I feel for you as my Father died over three years ago and he loved taking me to see trains or when we were on family vacations he would always pull the camper over for me. I lost him ten days before I finished riding all the Canadian Rails on the southern part of the Algoma Central. I wished he would have lived long enough to see the cab ride picture through Agawa Canyon.

Best wishes to you and every time you see a train just remember his love for trains. It will put a smile on your face as it did mine.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Date: 02/07/04 10:04
Author: Yarddogh

A lot of us have been there man. We share your grief. Thanks for passin' that nice little story along . . .

Date: 02/07/04 11:16

Thanks for all of the nice messages

Date: 02/07/04 16:16
Author: RustyRayls

My deepest sympathy. I lost my Dad a year ago last September. He spent the last 4 years of his life in a Nursing Home. I've only been railfanning for about 4 years now and my big regret is that I didn't start chasing trains earlier. I would have loved to take Dad out with me. I think He would have enjoyed it as much as I do.

Date: 02/07/04 17:37
Author: bnsfbob

Sorry to hear about your dad. The best thing that anybody can do to preserve the legacy of those departed is to make sure that your kids or young people in your extended family remember YOU as the railfan who got them started at an early age. Best regards and if you need any encouragement, just log on to T.O. Bob

Date: 02/07/04 23:24
Author: airbrake

Sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences to you and the family.

Date: 02/08/04 00:26
Author: Common-Sence

Sorry to hear about your lose. My father died two years ago, he as just as much a railfan as I, he worked for the SP in the steam days. Was his passing sudden or were you able to prepair somewhat?

Date: 02/08/04 19:48

We knew for about six months. We thought he beat it with kemo but the luekemia came back.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds