Home Open Account Help 393 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Whereizit

Date: 02/07/04 10:22
BNSF Whereizit
Author: cdub

Let's see who can figure this BNSF shot. It could be former BN territory, or it could be former ATSF. It might be in Nebraska, or could it be in Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Minnesota, who knows?

Date: 02/07/04 11:31
Re: BNSF Whereizit
Author: K8CNW

Looks like the ATSF transcon near Matfield Green.

-b-

Date: 02/07/04 13:39
Author: SPDRGWMILW

SE Iowa - Red Oak area?

Don Hall
Yreka, CA

Date: 02/07/04 13:57
Author: livesteamer

I'll add my vote for somewhere near Matfield Green

Marty Harrison

Date: 02/07/04 14:11
Author: FRISCOGARY

Somewhere on the ex-BN K Line?

Date: 02/07/04 14:13
Author: chabang

BN's Sioux City Lincoln main in nebraska?

Date: 02/07/04 15:30
Author: bobdavis

I don't know but it sure is one colorful set of power, obviously a balancing move with that many units.

Bob

Date: 02/07/04 15:51
Author: PaulMerriman

I see the moon in the background. I'll take a wild stab and say Earth, but after seeing the BNSF on Mars a few weeks ago, I really waffling. 8^)

Date: 02/07/04 20:20
Author: cdub

I guess it's about time to reveal the location. Nobody nailed it, but the two gentlemen who mentioned Matfield Green are close. It's actually between the Matfield Green and Bazar sidings on the Transcon in the Flint Hills area of south central Kansas. The photo is of an eastbound manifest in the evening in early September of last year, and it was taken right off highway K-177. Just to the right outside of view is the K-177 overpass over the mainline. Note that this area is very green for September. About a week before this picture was taken, there were torrential downpours in the area and it resulted in some tragic flooding in nearby Emporia.

Date: 02/07/04 20:55
Author: K8CNW

Matfield Green is surrounded by the flinthills (which you can see in the background of the picture). As the Santa Fe heads east out of Matfield Green towards Bazar it goes to single track and the hills become less pronounced. It's a very beautiful stretch of railroad; but then again if warbonnets ran on it, where on the Santa Fe isn't beautiful:-)

-Brian-

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds