Home Open Account Help 146 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Surviving KATY

Date: 07/29/04 10:43
Surviving KATY
Author: RyanWilkerson

I saw this car in Roseville yesterday and wondered how many pieces of rolling stock are still left with KATY paint/logo. Anyone know?

-Ryan Wilkerson
http://www.shastarails.com

Date: 07/29/04 10:53
Re: Surviving KATY
Author: CNW6500

Take a trip out to Woodland and you will find MKT 73 a very odd-ball home made caboose on the Yolo Shortline. It was down at the end out the line near the passenger loading area.

Date: 07/29/04 11:00
Author: RyanWilkerson

You mean this one? ;) I'm sure the history behind 73 has been covered so I'll search TO tonight.

-Ryan Wilkerson
http://www.shastarails.com

Date: 07/29/04 11:20
Author: trainmaster

If you find any info on the caboose I'd be interested if you could post something. Thank you.

Date: 07/29/04 14:04
Author: funnelfan

I found this car enslaved in work train service on the yellow sponge ;^)

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@icehouse.net

Date: 07/29/04 14:28
Author: WrongWayMurphy

There are a few MKT covered hoppers that
come and go from the local cement plant here
in Roanoke, TX

Date: 07/29/04 14:38
Author: tp117

Here in the east there are AMGX 100 ton open hoppers drawbarred together in twos and used for scrap hauling. Many of them are ex katy, but its very hard to tell because they are so ridicuously beat up. Good catch!

Date: 07/29/04 16:25
Author: CNW6500

Yep, thats the one. If you find the info in the historical threads post them, please.

Date: 07/29/04 17:29
Author: gobbl3gook

I see a fair bit of MKT on the Cal P, but have never seen any logos. Have to give a few more rollbys on the mixed freights, I guess, now that I know there's still some out there.

I've seen genuine vintage paint on
* Short, open-top rock hoppers.
* Gondolas
* Grainers?
* Lumber racks?

and MKT markings with UP livery on autoracks.

Here's another shot of that lovely little "caboose" on the Yolo Shortline.

Ted in Davis

Date: 07/29/04 18:18
Author: Larry576

One of the MKT DS44 1000AM's is saved in Parsons KS. Still green yellow AFAIK. There is an NW2 saved in TX (restored to original paint scheme) and one of the RS3M's is on a tourist road in KS - restored to post rebuild red scheme. 3 GP7's and a slug were still at NRE-Dixmoor at last report. I shot all of these in 2000 in rusted/faded green yellow but otherwise untouched.
Larry

Date: 07/29/04 19:04
Author: upkpfan

Last year, there was a small Katy tank car that came thru on the KP , 2 or 3 times. upkpfan

Date: 07/29/04 23:11
Author: up9367

Gee I posted a pix of that old MKT caboose about a year a go. Have about 4 or 5 shots of it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0551 seconds