Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > ABANDONED !

Date: 07/09/05 21:48
ABANDONED !
Author: Nbetween

Alot has been said these past few days regarding this ABANDONED TRAIN. Now i really get frustrated in hearing that lame term becuase isnt something abandoned left and no plan in place to retrieve it ? Well to not harp on this lame subject but begin another one. I have worked many switch jobs in San Diego and have something that always worried me. The HOMLESS , now i can recall switching industrys down there and literally changing these homless folks zip code by picking up empty boxcars or knocking down thier CONDO's when i set a car down a track and they just happen to be fouling it.

So where was San Diego's Finest then and even now ? I really think that many railfans can tell you where the homless hang out in the intercity's and Industry's. So why are'nt they going after them ? I will tell you why , Becuase it is a problem that they dont want to have to take care of. Its easy to call out the BNSF on thier practice's. Well i just hope that this isnt the start of something bigger. But i hope they take a deeper look into this homless problem.

Date: 07/09/05 22:13
Re: ABANDONED !
Author: Red

Personally, I think the "ABANDONED TRAIN" story was a hoot!!! It had me rolling on the floor!

Date: 07/09/05 22:25

They compare it to a NEWBORN CHILD that was dumped in a trash can. The BNSF knew the train was there.

Date: 07/09/05 23:29
Author: wlj619

I think the police have a point. It may be that "most people" don't know how to get a train moving.

But the deal is, that SOME people who don't know how to operate a train safely can figure out how to get a train moving, and then you really have a problem.

IMHO, mgmt should figure out a system for crew changes that ELIMINATES the possibility that someone who doesn't know how to stop a train might get one moving.

Walter Johnson

Date: 07/10/05 03:37
Author: EspeeGoldenState

wlj619 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the police have a point. It may be that
> "most people" don't know how to get a train
> moving.
>
> But the deal is, that SOME people who don't know
> how to operate a train safely can figure out how
> to get a train moving, and then you really have a
> problem.
>
> IMHO, mgmt should figure out a system for crew
> changes that ELIMINATES the possibility that
> someone who doesn't know how to stop a train might
> get one moving.
>
> Walter Johnson

From the post below.

Jim Kosty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The crews take a certain lever with them - the
> train can't go anywhere without this lever. I
> purposely left out the name of it and it's purpose
> in the event that some unsavory individuals might
> get some ideas.

Actually there should be 2 of them. I believe each hogger has their own set.

Date: 07/10/05 06:39

They should make it rule to not leave one lying around. But then again you can buy one on E-BAY or probably get a hold of the manufacturer and get a whole box of em. Something needs to happen in that department , And im sure it will soon.....

Date: 07/10/05 19:38
Author: wess

I remember a crewman on a long abamdoned railroad telling me that sometimes they had to use a screwdriver to replace this same certain lever

Date: 07/10/05 22:42
Author: Waybiller

I knew a guy who had whittled one out of wood. They're not exactly the keys to Fort Knox.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds