Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Photosoap for UP

Date: 09/12/05 18:05
Photosoap for UP
Author: Mgoldman

Not to knock UP but I worked and waited too long and traveled to far for this shot.
Has the term Photosoap been coined before?

Before - remember this engine as seen in July, 2005 at Cougar?
There was some griping from those out for a few frames as I recall....

Date: 09/12/05 18:09
Re: Photosoap for UP

And after....

Magic lasso the front end with some feathering in Photoshop or a similar program and then use the levels control and lighten it up a bit. Quick fix for dirty or shadowy images. Some more tweaking is in order but I like the efficiency of that routine.

Date: 09/12/05 18:14
Author: Steamjocky

Wow! What a big difference! Too bad you can't do that to all of the dirty UP engines.

steamjocky

Date: 09/12/05 18:14
Author: SuperC

Now we have to wash their locomotives for them??

Date: 09/12/05 18:21
Author: NI030

Yes Photoshop is wonderful. Here is my take on the same picture. I gave the yellow a little more saturation so that it was not as washed out.

Date: 09/12/05 19:00

silagi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes Photoshop is wonderful. Here is my take on
> the same picture. I gave the yellow a little more
> saturation so that it was not as washed out.

Not bad... forgot to visit that button!

Here's another take on another dirty UP engine on the same day (Sorry UP)
- or fun with Photoshop (Besides the number boards what else has been added?).
BTW - is "Photosoap" mine?

Date: 09/12/05 19:23
Author: truxtrax

MG, where abouts in the gorge did you take this? I've been trying to spot a good location to get Mt. Hood and some rail traffic in some pix and this looks like the best so far.

Butch,,,,,,,here we go

Date: 09/12/05 19:42
Author: nycman

umm, that's Mt. Shasta.

Date: 09/12/05 20:22

nycman Wrote:
> umm, that's Mt. Shasta.

Cougar to be exact!
You'd need a really really long zoom lens to get Mt Hood from this location or a few hours on Photoshop, right Jim? : )

If you are looking for some descent shots with Mount Hood check Trainorders using search words "Mt Hood" or maybe better yet, go to www.Railpictures.net and do the same search.

Date: 09/12/05 22:11
Cougar?
Author: frontrangeflyer

So can it be revealed to an outlander where Cougar is? I just bought, this summer, TT No. 1 of April, 1996. I checked the Black Buttes Sub. for Cougar, but didn't find it. How about a clue. . . Joe S.

Date: 09/13/05 14:30
Re: Cougar?

frontrangeflyer Wrote:
> So can it be revealed to an outlander where Cougar
> is?

I am sorry, but at this time it can not be revealed.

Just kidding - it is about 38 miles North of Dunsmuir, CA via I-5 to Route 97 at Dear Mountain Road. And not a beer can or plastic wrapper in sight, I might add.
Check Photobob's site - he has taken incredible shots in the area including the #3985 recently.

http://users.snowcrest.net/photobob/index.html

Date: 09/13/05 14:45
Author: TCnR

The siding at Cougar was removed in the mid 60's and was on the overpass, extending upgrade probably to the signal location. The Bob's photos are actually between Cougar and Andesite. Cougar is the location of the paintings on the cover of Signor's early edition Shasta books. The trails are fairly accessible but have many oil-pan sized rocks, don't expect a tow truck to find you out there.
Deer hunting season is coming up fairly soon, not a good time to wear that Christmas reindeer antler hat.

Cool photosoap idea.

Date: 09/13/05 16:31
Author: truxtrax

Doh! Me bad, and embarrassed. I've only lived in the PNW for 65 years, and drove truck up and down I-5 and 97 over Grass Lake for over half my life. I blame it on wishfull thinking, because I would like to find a spot in the gorge to photograph trains with Mt Hood in the background at someplace besides the double track east of the dam at The Dalles.

Butch,,,,,,,,,,here we go

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.05 seconds