Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Steam & Excursion > Royal Hudson to White Rock

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 02/09/10 00:11
Royal Hudson to White Rock
Author: cp1400

Royal Hudson steam locomotive #2860 made a trip from Vancouver BC to White Rock to deliver passengers for a culinary delight called "Bite of White Rock" on Monday Feb 8. Several photographers were spread out along the route including the great photos of Loleta seen in a thread below.

Here are my best of the day.

1. Pacific Central before departure in colour.

2. Minutes out of the depot at Rupert St in Vancouver.

3. Wider angle at Rupert St.

cp1400

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/10 00:20 by cp1400.

Date: 02/09/10 00:16
Re: Royal Hudson to White Rock

4. Off the Fraser River Bridge at Tannery Rd.

5. At the old station location of Ocean Park.

6. South of White Rock at Campbell River. If you look close you can see the elusive Loleta Fernbridge out on the sand in the middle left.

cp1400

Date: 02/09/10 00:19

7. Crossing the USA/Canada border at Blaine.

8. Stopped at South Custer waiting to back on to the wye.

9. A lame attempt at a Mitch Goldman pan shot that didn't pan out. Portal Way is not the smoothest road in the north west.

More tomorrow from the return trip to Vancouver.

cp1400

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/10 00:22 by cp1400.

Date: 02/09/10 02:38
Author: espeeboy

cp1400 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> 9. A lame attempt at a Mitch Goldman pan shot that
> didn't pan out. Portal Way is not the smoothest
> road in the north west.

Smoothest road? You mean you attempted a pacing shot while driving...

Date: 02/09/10 03:43
Author: andersonb109

Just curious about the need for the Diesel. Are the issues the same as in the states...insurance, backup in case of faiure and HEP needs?

Date: 02/09/10 07:11
Author: Mgoldman

Phenomenal series of images, especially the third of each set.
Too bad about the last pace attempt - I feel your frustration
regarding the bumpy road. I recall attempting a pace sequence
with CP and Rocky Mountaineer a few years back - sometimes get-
ting out of the car and panning IS easier!

I'm curious too, why the need for the pumpkin.

/Mitch

Date: 02/09/10 07:21
Author: Mudrock

BNSF proction in case of a breakdown. A story will be coming Thursday when I get home.

Chris

Date: 02/09/10 08:25
Author: asheldrake

GREAT pictures, congratulations to the West Coast Railway Association for getting the Hudson out. Arlen

Date: 02/09/10 08:54
Author: Keystone1

You see that damn diesel? .... THAT'S why I don't don't go out for these events anymore.

Date: 02/09/10 11:18
Author: Daylight4449fan

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You see that damn diesel? .... THAT'S why I
> don't don't go out for these events anymore

I guess having a beautiful engine out and under steam in 2010 is not worth anything if it has a diesel. The latter doing nothing but adding extra weight for the steamer to pull?
I couldn't care less if there is a diesel, or an unmatched set of cars. just as long as the old girl can get out and stretch her legs.

But to each, his own

Date: 02/09/10 12:39
Author: andersonb109

The diesel is always a question. Without it, the steam loco can't run. With it, the train isn't authentic or as photogenic. In the UK mainline steam runs frequently. Granted, they apparently have different methods of getting electrical power to the coaches but insurance and risk of breakdown don't seem to be as much of an issue over there. If fact as posted earlier on TO, their new Tornado actually took stranded commuters home after the third rail electrics couldn't cope with this winters record snows. We chased a steam excursion in Germany in 2008 and the diesel was on the rear of a rather lengthy consist. Of course if you had a round end observation on the rear such as Cedar Rapids or Silver Solarium, it would look equally as bad or worse.

Date: 02/09/10 13:15
Author: Hillcrest

Hmmmm...Well,I never,ever bitch about a diesel in the consist. HEP,just in case or host railroad requirement, it's just the nature of the beast these days...But wow, that one really stands out doesn't it...Great photos' just the same...

Cheers, Dave

Date: 02/09/10 14:24
Author: HotWater

For what it's worth, there is NO Head End Power capabilities on that BNSF unit behind the 2860.

Very nice photos!

Date: 02/09/10 15:32
Author: steam290

Yeah, I could do without that diesel... but it's really nice to see her running. I was up in BC in 2001, but she was down. Has there been any talk of double heading her with 2816?

If only there could be some mainline steam in my part region again, I would gladly put up with the diesel. *sigh* it's never been the same around here since the fire was dropped on the NS steam program.

Date: 02/09/10 15:56
Author: Hillcrest

Don't get me wrong, it's great to see her and diesels are a fact of life, yes...I just can't get over how much of a contrast that one creates in that consist. Quite large and orange.

Cheers, Dave

Date: 02/09/10 16:54
Author: doubleheader

Why do diesels have to be a fact of life.
What did they do before the bloody diesels ran!!!!!

I was told by someone today that recently the ROYAL TRAIN in the UK was pulled by
TORNADO. You know that newfangled steam engine. Well they had enough faith in it to
use it on the ROYAL TRAIN, for Prince Charles,et al, and no friggin diesels were on the train.
That engine can haul ass, and so can a Royal Hudson. If they really think its a liability then
run the diesel a block or two ahead of it to clear the way, and be there in case of emergency!!

The notion that everything has to have a diesel today is ludicrous. The more you accept them the
more nobody will care anymore. And for you younger guys some folks have to remind you that this
has not always been the case. Sure some trains have run with them, like 3751 to Chicago when they
had no water car, and had long stretches without water for refueling, etc, and thats fine. But to me its
demeaning to a lot of good engines when a diesel is tucked into the consist. Let the great heritage of
these engines shine, otherwise why bother running the fool thing!!!

Greg Scholl

Date: 02/09/10 17:53
Author: eminence_grise

Did 2860 get the second sight glass on the boiler backhead required to operate in the US?

Canadian steam locomotives were equipped with a sight glass and a series of test cocks.

I seem to recall that on previous trips to White Rock which required a visit to Blaine WA. to turn the 2860, the FRA would not allow the steam locomotive to operate under its own power in the US without the second sight glass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/10 17:54 by eminence_grise.

Date: 02/09/10 18:03
Author: wabash2800

Maybe someone can sabotage a diesel someday so it'll have to be left behind. But don't get caught.<G>

Ya no. Something that would happen so it couldn't even be pulled from out in the middle of no where. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe we could take a collection...

Ok, all in fun.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/10 18:09 by wabash2800.

Date: 02/09/10 21:09
Author: spdaylight

Phil

Yes . . it did get a second sight glass and thus was able to cross the border. And there is quite the story behind tracking it down . . . want to verify the facts and then will post the story later this week. And re: the diesel or no diesel discussion . . . fact of life is if no back up power . . . no run . . . plain and simple . . . you have to meet the requirements of the host railroad. Period.

Date: 02/10/10 05:25
Author: TimBo611

To all of you diesel whiners:

WAAAAAAAA. (that's the sound of a baby crying, in case you weren't sure)

If I have to take a diesel with me to get a steam locomotive out on a mainline in the year 2010, where do I sign? Beautiful pictures, please keep them coming and ignore the hater foamers! All of you old school guys that whine about diesels need to realize it's not 1975 anymore, deal with it, and enjoy what we have! If you want to see steam sans diesel, that's what we have photo charters for, no?

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0936 seconds