Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Steam & Excursion > It's about steam - It's about people

Date: 06/18/10 07:36
It's about steam - It's about people
Author: Q4960

It was the next to last trip of the season. One of our club's members brought his elderly mother to ride the cab of our 36 ton Heisler. From appearances it seemed as if she may have been victim of a stroke and it was a challenge to get her into and positioned in the cab. She sat behind the engineer and was all smiles. On the way back the son and I were talking and he said that they had lived very close to the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy and mom would call the boys to the window when she heard the steam whistle of the 4960 or 5632. She fondly remembered especially the 4960. Me too. In the locomotive shed was a 5 chime CB&Q whistle that I had Mike Daugherty of MD Whistles make for me. When the train made it back I quickly changed bells [name for the top part of a whistle]. When she heard that whistle for the first time her smile broadened, bringing back many fond and happy memories. It is moments like this that "make it" for me as a volunteer. We have adult sons bring dad out...he's been retired from the railroad and the sights and smells and sounds of a live and breathing steam locomotive trigger many memories. Or dads bring their sons out to show a glimpse of what the golden age of railroading was all about. Any way, this weekend when I have my hand at the throttle or shovel or ticket punch, I'll see how many smiles we can put on the faces of young and old alike.

Date: 06/18/10 08:22
Re: It's about steam - It's about people
Author: train671

Over the years I have had the opportunity to ride aboard many steam trips and chase many of these "old
beauties" and one of the best rewards is seeing all the smiles along the way. One of the volunteers who
spent lots of time helping the 261 get up and running was a gentleman named Dick Jjoos who drove hundreds
of miles one way to get to the 261 and then volunteered his time over weeks to help get the 261 up to
the condition it needed to be. One time I said to Mr. Jjoos that I wasn't sure which was brighter, the
smiles on the faces of the passengers and those along the way who waved at the passing train or HIS big
smile and twinkle in his eye. One image that still provides a wonderful memory is of the 4449 that was
temporarily repainted into her "Freedom Train" color scheme a few years back. The train left Portland and went down to Bend, Oregon, stayed a Saturday evening and then returned. All along the way, folks were waving at the
train and many were also waving American Flags. None of this could have happened without the great and unselfish efforts of a small group of volunteers with the passion, interest and energy who strive to perpetuate steam. To all of them we admirers and contributors owe a great debt.

Date: 06/18/10 09:16
Author: asheldrake

I sure agree Joe. That Bend trip with the 4449 returning to AFT livery was very emotional for me also with all those people trackside waving their American flags. It just doesn't get better than that. My favorite baseball type cap remains the one with the American flag on top with 4449 on the bottom. Daylight Dave needs to bring that cap back.
I will always be thankful to Doyle and his cadre of volunteers for doing that post 9/11 trip and paint job and giving me that experience. Arlen

Date: 06/18/10 10:07
Author: Daylight4449fan

I still have my hat, Arlen. I still remember first seeing the 4449 in the AFT scheme, something I'll never forget.

Date: 06/18/10 13:53
Author: smokebox

I still remember the first time I saw 4449 under steam leaving Portland to catch the Freedom Train. Siting on my dads shoulders and thinking "boy is she loud!"

One of my best memories was our first Holiday Express. A young single mother came up to me and said this was the first special thing she ever did for her son. It was worth all of the effort right then and there to get that event up and going.

It is about the people and a common bond.

Date: 06/18/10 15:27
Author: HotWater

It sure is about the people.

I remember, I was on fire-watch during the Freedom Train days, at Springfield, MO. There was a mom with her son, about 8 or 10 years old, who kept hanging around the 4449 as it got later and later in the evening. Finally the young man came up to the Engineer's side of the cab (that was the side where the public was viewing the whole consist), and asked if I could "blow the horn". I said that since the horn was so loud and pointed forward, it would really scare all the little kids and elderly people up front.

The poor kid was crestfallen, and the look from his mom was "understanding" at best. After a slight pause, I said, "Would you like to hear the steam whistle though?". I thought the kid would die! I then blew a nice grade crossing. Both the kid and the mom just lit-up like a neon sign!

One of many "moments to remember"!

Date: 06/18/10 15:54
Author: LoggerHogger

This thread brought plenty of memories for those of us on the crew. We were amazed by the response as we "rolled on" in the American Freedom Train colors.

Here are a few shots to remember this trip and sentiment behind it.

Martin

Date: 06/18/10 16:10
Author: Frisco1522

Back when the Frisco Museum (now closed)opened in Springfield,MO the 1522 travelled there to participate in the opening ceremonies.
Springfield was home to a Mr. Lee Buffington, nicest gentleman you would ever meet and a long time retiree of the Frisco who was in the Supt. Of Motive Pwr's office and was a veritable walking encyclopedia of knowledge.
On the last day of display we were to take our train back out to the West Shops area from the Museum. Lee, very frail, was helped up into the cab and I started the train toward the shop. When it was moving, I got up and had him sit down at the throttle for a bit and to blow for a couple of crossings. The look in his eyes and his big smile was priceless and I still kinda well up thinking about it. His wife told me later that he couldn't stop talking about it. We had to stop on a crossing by the shops and put some steps up for him to get down, but I still feel good to this day for giving him one last chance to relive the old days.
I met more than a few people who still remembered my Dad on the Frisco, mostly down at Newburg, MO, which was his layover point from St. Louis. One guy said he broke in firing steam for Dad before the diesels took over and was very complimentary about Dad as a teacher.
Needless to say, in the 15 or so times I ran 1522 out of Newburg and up Rolla Hill, I could picture my Dad listeneing to see if I had her hooked up just right.

Date: 06/18/10 16:37
Author: patd3985

Wow Frisco! You had tears in my eyes on that one! Most people will never know the thrill of running a good steam locomotive and the pleasures one recieves from doing so! I'm glad I got to run some steam in my life before I "kick 'em in the clear, and tie up!"... Thanx for a wonderful story.

Date: 06/18/10 17:51
Author: Q4960

Opening day at Freeport was the day before Memorial Day. That weekend anyone that had been in the Armed Services rode free. That has nothing to do with my story. A young man, 15, very well mannered and polite came up to me between runs and asked if we ever allowed anyone to ride in the cab. Sure! His mother had already purchased tickets and I suggested that she take his back to the ticket office and pay the extra $4 and request an upgrade to the cab. She asked if she needed to ride up there with him and my comment was, that if she thought he would be okay up there on his own, that was fine with me. He climbed into the cab and soon we were on our way. The fireman gave the young man the ins and outs of firing with some hands on experience. Not to be out done, when we had backed to the end of track, I put the Johnson Bar in the forward position and had him come over, whistle off and start the train. I then took back over. He had the time of his life!! My only regret is that I didn't let him run most of the way back.

Roger Holmes

Date: 06/18/10 17:52
Author: nycman

Great thread. Arlen, Jack, Martin, Don, Smokebox, Joe and everyone else who contributed, I am happy to call you my friends. That 4449 hat with the flag should never be duplicated. Those of us who rode that trip deserve to have a souvenir that was unique to the trip. As Arlen said, the people coming out with American flags on the return trip, and as others said, Doyle painted the 4449 into AFT colors to boost patriotism after the 9/11 attack, it was inspiring. Burlington John, where are you? We welcomed you on this trip and you contributed as a volunteer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/10 17:53 by nycman.

Date: 06/18/10 19:16
Author: Daylight4449fan

The first time I saw the 4449 was in '97. From then on, I was hooked. Little did I know that 13 years later, I'd be honored to help out on the engine.

Date: 06/19/10 10:45
Author: smokebox

When I have Snoqualamie pancakes I think of Stan Garner.

Date: 06/20/10 21:47
Author: wa4umr

When the L&N (Family Lines, CSX, or whatever it was at the time) had a "75th year Open House" many years ago I took a friend from church to see the place. Mr John Swann had spent 55 years with the L&N. He loved telling about the time he was running steam on a second section of a troop train to Birmingham during WWII. He loved to mention that he kept running into yellows just about all the way down there. Anyway, South Louisville shops had a steam locomotive they got from Clinchfield and they had a platform next to it so that it was easy to get into. Mr Swann was in his youth again when he sat in that engineer's seat. Mr. Swann died about a year after that but I'll always remember his excitement that day at South Louisville.

South Louisville was closed a few years after that. The area is now the University of Louisville football stadium (Papa John's stadium).

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0919 seconds