Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Steam & Excursion > Exhuast From Steam Whistle In Operation Photos

Date: 06/07/11 09:19
Exhuast From Steam Whistle In Operation Photos
Author: wabash2800

Long Story Short:

I am working with an artist for artwork on the cover of a book. We have a steam locomotive(Wabash M-1, 4-8-2, 2814) depicted bearing down on the operator/agent and to make it historically correct at the location, 2814 would be blowing its whistle as would be approaching a road crossing just past the station.

I would like the artist to get the exhaust on the big steamboat whistle correct. Can anyone post some photos of big whistles on locomotives in action to help my artist?

The angle of the locomotive would similar to the one attached but more of a front end view. The whistle would be on the other side.

Thanks in Advance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/11 10:29 by wabash2800.

Date: 06/07/11 09:51
Re: Exhuast From Steam Whistle In Operation Photos

The Whistle on the 2800s was usually placed on the left side near the stack or a little further back.

Date: 06/07/11 10:53
Author: dcoursey

Were these whistles just regular Hancock 3-chimes, or were they made by the Wabash shops? Is there any preserved audio of what these Wabash steamboat whistles sounded like? Or does anyone know what chord they sounded? Just curious, is all...

Date: 06/07/11 14:01
Author: Labby

Hi,

The location of your whistles is the same location that the engine 1225 used for the "guest" whistle. This location was notorious for obscuring the front of the engine and the view from the cab.

As a kid I recall the GTW Northerns and don't remember them with such an extreme display of steam.

So this shot may qualify as one extreme.

Labby

Date: 06/07/11 14:56
Author: YG

Nice shot!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 06/08/11 04:36
Author: Q4960

As far as sounds of a Wabash steam whistle, here is a link of my Wabash whistle on our 36 ton Heisler at 150 pounds pressure. That's me at the throttle and whistle cord crossing the bridge.

Technically, the bell, or top of the whistle is mounted on a valve manufactured by MD Whistles (Mike Daugherty) of Fairmont, WV. If you are ever in the area of Freeport, IL when we are operating and want to hear this whistle, just send me a pm and we'll arrange it. The whistle is a Hancock. It had been on a factory in Decatur, IL and the valve was gutted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnbVF7gu90Y

Roger Holmes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/11 04:42 by Q4960.

Date: 06/08/11 09:11

Thanks for the info Roger. I've passed along the video link to some fellow Wabash fans. The Monticello, Illinois Museum has a Wabash whistle too but we haven't been able to hear it under steam yet. I was hoping that they could mount it on the recently restored Southern 2-8-0 someday.

Date: 06/08/11 10:17
Author: switchlock

Date: 06/08/11 17:28
Author: trainrider47

Tim's nice winter shot of 1225 shows what a Hancock whistle looks like when it's cold. Here's a couple of shots of 765 taken on a cool October morning and a warmer October afternoon. Shots are engineer's side and the whistle is on the fireman's side.

Michael Allen

Date: 06/09/11 21:07

Roger, Chet French, who lives about 40 miles from your operation is going to visit your operation. Chet is a retired Illinois Central railroader and big Wabash fan. We got his attention. Chet grew up with Jim Boyd.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds