Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Steam & Excursion > unusual feedwater heater application

Date: 09/17/11 08:46
unusual feedwater heater application
Author: ts1457

I was looking at the pictures of SOO No. 2719 in the thread about the Duluth railfan weekend:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,2567866

I see a very interesting application of a somewhat rare feedwater heater. I won't say what I think it is so that someone else will have a crack at ID'ing it.

Date: 09/17/11 10:28
Re: unusual feedwater heater application
Author: LarryDoyle

Here's some detail shots

-Larry Doyle

Date: 09/17/11 13:39
Author: HotWater

The pump is a standard Worthington "hot pump" from an S or SA feedwater system. However, that feedwater "heat exchanger" appears to be home-made by the Soo Line, as I can't remember the story behind it. Anybody else help here?

Date: 09/17/11 14:49
Author: wcamp1472

Its the Famous Goldberg Feedwater heater!
These systems were rare and characterized by a complex system of cab gauges and valves, flow meters and backwash filters.
The system utilized several patented devices including squirrel cage motors, floating pistons and photoranatans.
In the 1920s, the company's stock was liquidated after it was found that originator, one Ruben Goldberg, found it more profitable to build
financial schemes with his friend Jack Ponzi.

Only one Goldberg system survives to this day.

Overfire Jets!

Date: 09/18/11 09:52
Author: ts1457

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The pump is a standard Worthington "hot pump" from
> an S or SA feedwater system. However, that
> feedwater "heat exchanger" appears to be home-made
> by the Soo Line, as I can't remember the story
> behind it. Anybody else help here?

Thanks to Larry for providing the detailed photos of Soo Line No. 2719's feedwater heater. They really help in making a positive identification of this unusual system.

HotWater is right. The hot water pump <under the heater, sticking out on both sides> is a Worthington Type SA hot water pump. However the heater itself is not homemade, but a cataloged Worthington model - the elusive Type SCA2. I have attached a scan of Page 38 from the Worthington manual, Locomotive Feedwater Heating Equipment, Types SA, S2, and SCA2, Instructions for General Shop Maintenance and List of Parts, W-220-E13D 1943. The drawing itself is labeled Type 3 1/2-SCA2 Heater. Normal Worthington practice is that the number preceding the model is the size. As far as I've been able to determine, the Type SCA2 heater came only in size 3 1/2. Judging by the table of capacities, that size would be suited for modernizing an older Pacific or light Mikado type locomotive. The Soo Line application is interesting because it is all out in the open. I think the Southern Pacific also made some applications to older Mikado's. SP No. 794 preserved at San Antonio may be one of those:

http://www.sp794.org/

Since so much of the heater of No. 794 is inset into the smokebox, I'm not a hundred percent sure of the identification.

If anyone knows of any additional applications of the Type SCA2 feedwater heater, I would be very interested in hearing about them. Next target for me is the mysterious Type SSA. I've seen clues that it might exist, but I don't know for sure.

Date: 09/27/11 16:06
Author: 4-12-2

Very intersting and thanks for posting these shots. I believe this is the first instances of placement of the heater unit outside the smokebox I've ever seen.

I also believe the Type SCA2 heater was only made in size 3 1/2. Every Worthington book dealing with these heaters I have sites that size alone.

I haven't tried to determine with certainty, but I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps the SCA2 wasn't intended for this sort of placement. Only thing I'd wonder about is apparent lack of jacketing. I need to study the photos again.

Once more, thanks for posting!

John Bush
Omaha

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1527 seconds