Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Steam & Excursion > New Throat Sheet Patches for Hammond #17

Date: 07/30/12 18:26
New Throat Sheet Patches for Hammond #17
Author: PorterNo2

When rebuilding locomotives these days, seldom ever is a 1472 inspection as simple as boiler calculation and new tubes. Such was the case with Hammond Lumber Company #17 at the Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad. We have kept you appraised of our progress on this locomotive over the last year as we have replaced a third of the firebox, over 300 staybolts, numerous flexible staybolt caps and sleeves, running boards, superheater units, etc. The last major hurdle to completing the boiler work on the locomotive was two VERY technically challenging patches at the corners of the throatsheet. This area had textbook cracking along the axis of the knuckle and required replacement. After x-ray testing the areas on both sides of the engine, the affected zones were cut out. Being as that these patches were to be unstayed (make no mistake, if a patch has no bolts, rivets, or braces it is an unstayed patch no matter where it is on the locomotive), prior approval from the FRA in Washington DC was required. I wrote up a welding procedure in accordance with applicable ASME code and we received permission to undertake the following repair. In the video you can see the hot forming of one of these patches with John Graddon and Brian Bunbridge (Macster) on the torches, and myself on the 30 pound wood faced hot forming hammer. These patches are compound curves as you can see. Picture one shows the results of the hot flanging as well as what the original pieces of plate looked like. The final photo shows one of the patches in the final stages of being trimmed and fitted up to the existing sheet. Being an unstayed patch, the welding will be conducted by a certified 6G welder and new volunteer Kevin Snell. Following welding, the patch will be x-rayed and post weld heat treated so that it behaves as if it was part of the parent metal (no built in stresses). Hope this is of some interest to you and hope you come visit us at the MRSR soon!

Best,

Stathi

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/30/12 18:54
Re: New Throat Sheet Patches for Hammond #17
Author: TonyJ

Amazing what it needed to a repair a boiler. No microprocessors or integrated circuits here! If anyone can get it done it's you, Stathi and your crew of mechanical wizards. Thanks for showing how it's done. - Tony J.

Date: 07/30/12 19:12
Author: SCPCno2

Great work Stathi! And to Johnny and Brian also!!!
Very educational as well! It is a complicated, time consuming, backbreaking job, and it is turning out beautifully!

Date: 07/30/12 19:26
Author: MMD

Watching that sends shivers down my back, there are very few people around today that are keeping the ' Art ' of boiler work alive. As said above no electronic control here just a strong arm and a practised 'eye' for how it should look. Maybe some day I'll make up your way again. Just what is Hammond 17, I saw 29 & 37 at Scotia CA. back in 60/61 but I do not recall # 17.

Malcolm
New Zealand.

Date: 07/30/12 19:30
Author: rehunn

Beautiful grind work.

Date: 07/30/12 19:39
Author: nycman

Malcom, here is Hammond 17. Stathi, John and Brian, wow. Microchips? Maybe microbrews after use of the sledgehammer. You guys just continue to amaze us with your fine work in this now ancient art of keeping steam running.

Date: 07/30/12 19:47
Author: MMD

Thanks nycman, a saddle tank. At present I'm working on an HO Scale NWSL model that's been in my collection for 40 years, painted the running gear this morning. And sorry everyone it was Pacific Lumber locos I saw at Scotia in 60/61 # 29 was a 2-6-2 and was in steam so I got to ride round the yard in her, # 37 was dead in the shed. I just gotta get round to learning how to use this slide scanner.

Malcolm
New Zealan.

Date: 07/30/12 20:45
Author: Auburn_Ed

Here is a low resolution scan from my times at Scotia. 1961.

Ed

Date: 07/31/12 05:57
Author: fehorse

Amazing work! How come the Porter isn't going to be rebuilt (again)?
Pete

Date: 07/31/12 07:59
Author: Hillcrest

That is one impressive piece of craftsmanship...the fit is amazing. Nicely Done Guys.

Cheers, Dave

Date: 07/31/12 08:27
Author: boilerkiller

Not speaking officially, but as an interested bystander in the region. The Porter has been run long and hard. Yes it is rebuildable, but it will take lots of time and money. MRSR shops have only so many people and resources, and a full plate. Their fleet of locomotives isn't exactly small. Help out, if you want to see the Porter run again, send money.

Date: 07/31/12 12:13
Author: Macster

fehorse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amazing work! How come the Porter isn't going to
> be rebuilt (again)?
> Pete

Pete - She needs a full on rebuild, like the Polson #70 got, which at this time we do not have funds to rebuild the #5.

With the #17 getting closer to being completed, having two 2-8-2's and an 0-6-0 (Stathi's) along with 3 operational geared engines, there is no priority for the #5.

I do keep trying to drop hints at a certain mallet though =)

Date: 07/31/12 13:07
Author: speeder3

Regarding the 5, as Brian already stated, she needs a complete down-to-the-frame rebuild. The 70 cost just over $400,00 and that was with a decent boiler to work with. The 5, unfortunately, has suffered from more than one poor decision and now requires an entirely new barrel. Now you're looking at over a half million dollar project. That's pretty hard to justify.

Brian Wise
General Manager
Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/31/12 13:18
Author: LoggerHogger

Brian B.,

Unless Stathi has done some modifications to her, the Chiggin is an 0-4-0T.

Martin

Date: 07/31/12 21:04
Author: flash34

LoggerHogger Wrote:
> Brian B.,
>
> Unless Stathi has done some modifications to her,
> the Chiggin is an 0-4-0T.
>
> Martin

I was thinking that with the possibility of Tim Daubert occupying the engineer's seat at some point, maybe it was decided to add another pair of drivers to keep the axle loading within permissible limits.

Date: 07/31/12 21:19
Author: Macster

flash34 Wrote:
> LoggerHogger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Brian B.,
> >
> > Unless Stathi has done some modifications to
> her,
> > the Chiggin is an 0-4-0T.
> >
> > Martin
>
>
> I was thinking that with the possibility of Tim
> Daubert occupying the engineer's seat at some
> point, maybe it was decided to add another pair of
> drivers to keep the axle loading within
> permissible limits.

"Like"

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0985 seconds