Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Steam & Excursion > Working Steam in the Rain

Date: 06/26/13 03:19
Working Steam in the Rain
Author: Tominde

I am currently participating in the Wolsztyn Experience in Poland. For those not familiar, Wolsztyn Experience lets anyone actually be the engineer on regular scheduled steam passenger trains. The run is between Wolsztyn and Poznan, 50 miles apart. There are about 15 intermediate stops. The train makes 2 RT per day (200 miles per day) and Wolsztyn engines often exceed 20,000 miles per year, the highest mileage steam in the world today. The line is mostly single track with passing sidings and has a speed limit of 110Km/h or about 70 mph. Our current steam engine is a class OL49 (#59) 2-6-2 type built in 1953. Top speed is 72 mph, we typically top out at 60mph or so. These engines are a GP7 of steam.
Today’s Experience—Running in the Rain.

It is a major rain storm and I am working the first train out over the line departing Wolsztyn at 0540. The train is 2 coaches. Cab windows are closed but the cab roof is open account of the heat. You feel like you are breathing liquid smoke and everything seems to have an extra layer of dirt. Visibility is reduced as there is no windshield wiper and despite smoke lifters on the engine, the wind and rain just seem to beat the smoke and steam down into a shroud around the engine.

With wet rail, I have to take it a little bit easier pulling out of the station and also braking as there is some sliding. Leaving the stations I do not open the throttle quite as much. We typically start our train at 60% cut off on the screw reverser and work our way back to 30%. I felt that moving back on the reverser sooner would reduce some of the slippage. But then the acceleration is not as brisk. With 15 or so stops, remember that if you lose 15-20 seconds accelerating or braking you are 5 minutes late arriving in Poznan. Perhaps not a big deal in the US, but over here it is important. People rely on this train to get them to work on time. I mostly managed to keep things under control and we arrive about 3 minutes late. Some of that is also passengers taking longer to board in the rain.

The hardest part of my day is braking for the stations. It has been 4 years since I worked this line and it is challenging seeing the stations ahead. The Polish Engineer-Instructors do help with when to shut down the throttle and will help with initiating braking much as a road pilot does for visiting steam in the US. But about half the platforms are on the other side of the engine and seeing where to stop can be challenging. Of course some stations you stop at the west end or east end of the platform to accommodate passengers , especially on a raining day. And remember the visibility was lousy to begin with.
I will be here 2 weeks and hope to provide updates during the Experience. This is just one Awesome Experience. The real deal. Oh yes, Polish food is very good, and Polish women…….

Any experts still reading, how would you handle the throttle and reverser for maximum acceleration on wet rail?

Photo #1 The OL49 that we are currently using, but soon to rotate out for another OL49.

Photo #2 Opening the throttle on an OL49. Notice the throttles go right to left instead of front and back. Still the same feel. (picture from 2011 and previous posting)

Date: 06/26/13 06:11
Re: Working Steam in the Rain
Author: flash34

When trying to accelerate on wet rail I would actually wait and hook up the reverser later rather than sooner, possibly using a little less throttle. The thought is that a little more back pressure plus a little more even power pulses generally helps you hold the rail under these conditions. Use as much sand as necessary and you'll find how much throttle she'll take. As you accelerate slowly shorten the cut-off and add more throttle. The tendency to slip is worst at lower speed. Also lay sand when stopping and this will aid materially in getting started again.

Scott Gordon

Date: 06/26/13 06:33
Author: YG

My wife and I visited Poland a number of years ago to see the country and look up some distant relatives of hers. Of course we spent a few days in Poznan and rode the train to Wolsztyn. While I did not do the "Wolsztyn Experience", we did meet some of those participating in the program during our visit.

The late Bob Oswald also shared his video files from the four times he participated (in wintertime) with us, which became a chapter on the "Steamin' Through the Seasons" DVD.

Definitely a worthwhile experience!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 06/26/13 11:42
Author: Harlock

One thing that was suggested to me in cases of real problem slipping is to leave the cylinder cocks open until you get a grip - it softens each admission of steam preventing the wheels from breaking away as easily during the powered portion of each stroke. Not sure if useful if you already have sand to use.

One thing I appreciate about tank engines with few drivers is how much weight is on each driver, slipping is rarely an issue. I have a large 0-4-0 live steamer with a saddle tank. When the tank is full it's very hard to make it slip.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/13 11:44 by Harlock.

Date: 06/26/13 20:43
Author: flash34

Also to add to my first answer, assuming the locomotives have something like the standard 87% or so full cut-off, I would start out there and slowly reduce as speed picks up, rather than you're 60% starting point. The same reasons I said before apply.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.4398 seconds