Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Steam & Excursion > Logger Hogger - this one's for you!

Date: 01/27/15 08:11
Logger Hogger - this one's for you!
Author: Q4960

Martin, I know that you're big into the logging railroads, mainly in the Northwest. I had picked up this print at a flea market, small contract print, and the only information I have is what is written on the back: "Dugdemona Bayou Lumber Company 2-6-0 #5 Ansley, La, 6-2-40". Photographer's name not listed. I know that this is a little outside your territory but...if this mogul could only talk...looks like she's been through the mill - pretty rough around the edges including a new or partly rebuilt cab. Appears to be heat from the stack so I'd say she's in service.

Roger Holmes

Date: 01/27/15 09:03
Re: Logger Hogger - this one's for you!
Author: Auburn_Ed

Looks to be the Davis Bros. Lumber Co. in Ansley, Louisiana. Other photos of the same engine date about 1940. 18 miles of 55lb rail.

Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/15 09:59 by Auburn_Ed.

Date: 01/27/15 09:20
Author: BAB

Nice cab keep there equipment in top shape I see. I agree well used piece looks like the crew is happy.

Date: 01/27/15 09:58
Author: LoggerHogger

Roger,

Great photo. I love the Beverly Hillbillies cab!

Martin

Date: 01/27/15 15:29
Author: elueck

It is indeed Ansley, Louisiana and Davis Brothers Lumber Co. #5

Here is a shot of the firemans side, and a shot of the locomotive that succeeded #5, Hillyer-Edwards-Fuller Lumber #102 (formerly Oakdale and Gulf RR #1) #102 was unusual, in that like the Russian Decapods, it was built by Vulcan, for the Serbian government, in 1918 and never delivered. It ended its days at Ansley, still lettered for its former owner.

Date: 01/27/15 17:13
Author: Q4960

Thanks for everyone's input, especially the additional photos.

Roger

Date: 01/27/15 18:12
Author: lwilton

Now that is one unique locomotive. I'd say it is a great shame that it didn't survive. But if it had and was meticulously restored, who would possibly believe that it had looked like that while in service? There are better looking engines sitting in flooded parks.

Date: 01/30/15 17:29
Author: pmack

One set of photos is reversed. The dynamo changes sides.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0533 seconds