Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Steam & Excursion > Info on a 2-6-2T

Date: 03/16/15 21:34
Info on a 2-6-2T
Author: 28hogger

Today I watched a film on TCM called Ring of Fire staring David Janssen. It was made in 1961. Its a typical Hollywood production. At the end there was a big forest fire that destroyed the town but the hero "David Janssen" save the day by getting the people out of town by using a logging engine pushing a couple of what looked like SP Suburban coaches.
Question is what engine was used? It looked like a 2-6-2T that had been modified and a tender added, probably for the movie. Second question is what bridge did they use in the film? In the movie it burned and collapsed.
Please excuse the photos I took them by pausing the TV and then used my Iphone. Thanks.

Warren Smith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/15 22:35 by 28hogger.

Date: 03/16/15 21:40
Re: Info on a 2-6-2T
Author: JDLX

Locomotive was Georgia Pacific #9 from their Toledo operation, and the trestle was on the Simpson Railroad. Lots of information on the whole movie and what remains of it a decade ago on the following website:

http://www.brian894x4.com/RingofFire.html

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 03/17/15 04:39
Author: LoggerHogger

Warren,

Here are some photos to show you what #9 looked like in her service life and as modified for the movie. The tender they added came from Long-Bell 2-6-2 #105 and was pulled off the trestle before the collapse.

The forst shot was taken by Al Farrow in 1958 of #9 in service at Siletz, Oregon.

The 2nd shot Al took of her near Camp Grisdale for the trestle scene. You can see how they removed the oil bunker so the cameras could film the actors.

The last shot shows #9 at the Long-Bell enginehouse at Vernonia, Oregon being fitted with the Long-Bell #105 tender and the oil bunker replaced by 2 55-gallon drums for oil supply for the filming.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/15 04:55 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 03/17/15 08:31
Author: patd3985

Hi Martin! I've asked this question before on T.O., but never got an answer. My question is: After they retrofitted the #9 with 105's tender in Vernonia,Oregon, did they then truck it down to Wynoochie Canyon(Shelton) WA to finish the movie? If so, can you supply info on this move or any other interesting info? Thanx,........Pat

Date: 03/17/15 09:12

Pat,

Go back up and look at my post and the reference to the second photo.

The photo shows the #105 tender with #9 near Camp Grisdale for the movie shoot. The tender was out on the trestle during the scene until #9 dropped off. They pulled the tender back out of view before the trestle fell.

Maritn

Date: 03/17/15 10:36
Author: 28hogger

Thank you Jeff and Martin for all the info on the wreck. I recorded the last 20 minutes of the film (the RR stuff), I didn't realize that was a real wreck and bridge collapse, I thought I was looking at a mock up and special effects.
It was to bad that the engine was destroyed.

Warren

Date: 03/17/15 12:28

Warren,

The engine is still at the bottom of the canyon along with the remnants of the Harriman coaches.

Martin

Date: 03/17/15 15:06
Author: Hillcrest

My daughter was up there last week and got some pics of the drivers (the loco is upside down in the creek) that showed more of them than I'd seen before due to low water levels. The "crash site" has become quite an attraction.

Cheers, Dave

Date: 03/17/15 15:57
Author: patd3985

OK Martin! So according to the info you've given me, this is the COMPLETE scenario.....(1). #9 leaves Toledo, Ore. and steams to Vernonia, Ore.... (2).While in Vernonia, Ore., 105's tender is added and burning mill scenes filmed....(3). After filming in Vernonia, #9 steams clear up to Shelton, Wa to film trestle wreck scene in Wynoochie Canyon. If this info is correct, it seems like a lot of steaming for an old engine! Especially from Vernonia, Oregon to Shelton, Washington! Am I correct?

Date: 03/17/15 16:25
Author: roustabout

I caught the tail end of the movie yesterday and marveled at the burning of Vernonia and the mill. Our barber here in Shedd is from Vernonia; her grandfather's store (Miller Paint) is seen at some point in the movie, FWIW.

Date: 03/17/15 17:36

Pat

When I said #9 went to Shelton on her own wheels does not mean she "steamed" there.
She was towed dead.

Martin

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.7799 seconds