Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Steam & Excursion > T1 Trust update from FB

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 03/29/15 14:02
T1 Trust update from FB
Author: railroadmitch

I know this is a polarizing project, but it appears it is picking up steam (pun intended)

I saw on Facebook today they are starting the fundraising for the main wheels. They have also announced they have 3 railroads that will allow it to run, as well as some engineering updates. It also looks like they have a new store up with drawings to sponsor. I made a donation a couple months ago, I am due for another.

I know they have spent the last couple years obtaining the original drawing and converting to CAD. It is nice to finally see some parts coming to life. It sounds like they have lots of quotes for the castings.

I joined as a member a couple months back (free) and you have access to all the files and the discussion about engineering and why they are dong things a certain way. It is fascinating. Most of it is over my head, but it is neat to see the project develop. I am sure there are many on here that could understand all the info on their forums.

My hope is that they finish, but if they don't the knowledge they have collected will be great for another generation. I can also see a group or two trying to build a NYC hudson.

For the curious check out their website www.prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/15 14:28 by railroadmitch.

Date: 03/29/15 14:54
Re: T1 Trust update from FB
Author: andersonb109

A completely new loco was built from scratch in the U.K. and is running regularly on the main line. A second is currently under construction. So is there any reason why the same couldn't be done here? That said, is it just me...or is this a rather odd choice for the chosen loco?

Date: 03/29/15 15:58
Author: wcamp1472

The momentum for the construction of a new & highly successful T1 will continue to build.

It is not the intent of the group to build-into the new machine the  known defects of the original design(s).   There are also, newly available materials, methods and processes -- like CAD design features, 3D printers, and materials like Titanium, etc.

The crucial aspect of this effort is the belief in the integrity, and transparency, of the the financial management of the incoming resource$.  

There are many T1 drawings in existence, many are representations of modifications of the then existing designs, so an important aspect is the discovery and sorting of the known drawings in a date-sequenced catalog.   The most current drawings are the keys.  
The drawings reside in several locations, so it is a daunting task to identify and collate the records.

The Trust could definitely use more volunteer man-hours to help with this immense task --- building a complete catalog of the known drawings, all to be digitized, and manipulated into 3D renditions...

The Trust values the work of folks, as well as, the financial support from the myriad of interested participants.   

The MAJOR benefit of this effort are the synergies that are generated along the lines of --- "It can be done".  
It is worth doing --- to get it built -- partly because the country needs a return to
the Can-Do accomplishments and attitudes of the past.     

Thanks to all, as we endeavor to keep the embers of opportunity glowing & growing.  

Wes C.

Date: 03/29/15 16:38
Author: Notch16

Well said, Wes. Things are only accomplished when people apply belief and work in equal proportion to the vision. A strongly-held and much-repeated opinion that something "can't be done" only guarantees that outcome, while requiring little effort or belief. Some visions are admittedly more adventurous than others, or remain unlikely for very good reasons. But therein lies the value of the challenge. And it's bold ideas backed by belief and the application of hard work which often succeed against great odds, overcoming the impediment of exclusively "realistic" thinking.

~ BZ

Date: 03/29/15 17:37
Author: callum_out

Uh huh, and a boatload of money.

Out

Date: 03/29/15 18:21
Author: Keystone1

Dear andersonb109......The Pennsy T-1 and the NYC Hudson (J-3a), are the top two choices for building two American (rival), classics totally extinct. So....I will throw the torch to you, and name two extinct American steam locomotives that YOU would rather see built. Go ahead sir...surprise/shock me.

Date: 03/29/15 18:27
Author: HotWater

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear andersonb109......The Pennsy T-1 and the NYC
> Hudson (J-3a), are the top two choices for
> building two American (rival), classics totally
> extinct.

That is your opinion, right?

So....I will throw the torch to you, and
> name two extinct American steam locomotives that
> YOU would rather see built. Go ahead
> sir...surprise/shock me.

For "extinct" I would prefer something usable in current excursion service, limited as it is: 1) NYC Niagara class 4-8-4, 2) Great Northern O-8 Class 2-8-2, or 3) DL&W Hudson.

Date: 03/29/15 18:36
Author: rcall31060

All EXCELLENT choices, Jack!  The 5 ALCO-built (1938???), Lackawanna Hudsons get short shrift in these environs.  They shouldn't, as they were aesthetically pleasing machines.  They did have odd looking sandboxes, though.  If I may be permitted, might I also suggest one of the Boston & Maine's gorgeous 1941, Baldwin-built R1d Mountains?

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/15 18:37 by rcall31060.

Date: 03/29/15 18:44

Wes, is TO member feltonhill (Dave Stephenson) involved in this project?  I doubt that there is a more knowledgeable individual, as concerns the T1, then Dave.  If he can't get his hands on every bit of existing, pertinent T1 info, then I seriously doubt that it can be obtained.

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

Date: 03/29/15 19:32
Author: wcamp1472

Bob,

Re: 'Felton Hill'....

Is he involved?  Youbetchyerbippy, he is!

Yes, to the extent that he is a virtual neighbor of mine.
We have met, discussed the project at length, and he is supportive, though skeptical, ---- with his engineering background.

He is definitely a KEY resource, & is committed to providing ALL the knowledge, advice, and insight that he can muster.
Because of his relationships with others (of equal esteem) and his keen Engineering sense, he has pin-pointed the  'areas of improvements' that must be rectified, mechanically, in order to avoid the known pitfalls the T1 class.
The leaders of T1Trust are committed to resolving those issues --- using the best minds in engineering and manufacturing.

I have the deepest respect for him, and I was pleased to be a guest at his house --- for our lengthy meeting.
I have promised to be in contact with him as we get closer to making key selections, and design improvements. 
I do not bother him with trivial matters, at this stage. 

Thanks for your sharp interest.

Wes C.

PS.

He had been a volunteer at George Hart's Steam operation out of York, Pa (on the M&Pa RR) in the mid-1960s  --- at the same time I was also a volunteer....
We had both worked on Hart's locos/trains, but I didn't specifically remember meeting him.  When his tag-name "Felton Hill" showed up on TO, I was flabbergasted --- because Felton is a small hamlet at the foot of a steep grade, up the M&Pa, to the town of Red Lion, Pa.

Later, while I was employed on the M&Pa, I was an engine crew member of the helper engine that regularly double-headed with the trains of loaded slate cars up Felton Hill.
I was pleased to recently renew our friendship ---- from back in the wonderful days on the Ma&Pa, and the wonderful Western Maryland trips.... Those were GREAT Days.

Its a SMALL world!

Date: 03/29/15 19:48

A small world, indeed, Wes!  Like you, I have the utmost respect and admiration, for David.  What he doesn't know about the T1 (and the Q2, for that matter), ain't worth knowin'!    I've never met David personally, but I've been privileged to converse with him, through the good offices of Trainorders.com.  I highly value those communications and look forward to further communication with him.

Thank you, Wes and Godspeed.

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

Date: 03/29/15 20:47
Author: Defective_Detector

andersonb109 Wrote:
> A completely new loco was built from scratch in
> the U.K. and is running regularly on the main
> line. A second is currently under construction.
> So is there any reason why the same couldn't be
> done here? 

The UK railroads are nationalized, basically anyone that meets certain standards can run a locomotive on their mainline. Here in the US, our mainlines area all privately owned, so you can only run on them if the owners let you. As we know, most American railroads aren't very keen on running steam. Who knows what their feelings will be in 2030.

Date: 03/30/15 08:44
Author: steam290

I really hope this works out!  I'd like to see an NYC Hudson too. 

Just think, the T1 would be the only standard 4-4-4-4 in the world. I think the success of such a project would give hope to other dreams of bringing back lost steamers. If people are skeptical I suppose they have a right to be, but if this group is able to raise enough money, I say, "if you build it they will come."

Date: 03/30/15 09:27
Author: exopr

I'd like to see a Pennsy J1 built.  I'm afraid the T1 project will "slip."   Couldn't resist.  The T1s had to have yard engines like 0-6-0s help them up out of Columbus Union Station! 

Date: 03/30/15 11:04
Author: thefracturedfrog

exopr Wrote:
> I'd like to see a Pennsy J1 built.  I'm afraid
> the T1 project will "slip."   Couldn't resist. 
> The T1s had to have yard engines like 0-6-0s help
> them up out of Columbus Union Station! 

A J-1! Yes! The mighty 2-10-4s. Powerful. Practical. PRR had 125 of the beasts... They were, minus a few cosmetic differences, almost exact copies of the C&O class T-1. Well, how 'bout that... A PRR with a round top firebox and Baker valve gear. Woo Woo!

-Froggie

Date: 03/30/15 13:29
Author: thefracturedfrog

THIS JUST IN FROM THE T-1 MODERNIZATION DEPARTMENT...

New designs have been approved! Hightlights are as follows:

-A massive, 10x14 ft, 50-ton, swinging bar hinge will be placed in between the two sets of drivers to allow for better curve clearance. The weight has caused much concern and the group is currently discussing adding more wheels to support the spring. This would create a 4-4-2-2-4-4 arrangement. Opponents argue that a two-axle traction motor would be more appropriate. This would create a 4-4-B-4-4 arrangement. Apparently, the argument became very heated and someone was shanked with a date nail. Their injuries were not life threatening.
-To reconnect the two separated halves of the boiler,large sections of flexible dryer vent tubing will be installed. It will be wrapped in duct insulation and foil tape. Should really shine in the summer sun.
-CSX has been contracted to install air-conditioning units on the cab roof. With this news has come concerns about the unit randomly catching fire.
-Due to EPA regulations for water heaters produced after April 2015, the new T-1 will be an electric UNIT! Pantographs will transmit electric current from overhanging wires to the 250 swimming pool heaters in the boilers. Listen for the HUMMMMMM!
-The Union Pacific Steam Department resident expert on steam has been asked to recommend chemical compositions for treating the water used in this unit. I, personally, have no reservations about this move.
-The coal bunker in the tender, now rendered useless, will be filled with stadium seating for extra passengers who want a close-up look to this revolutionary unit. Discussions are ongoing regarding the possible installation of McKeen car porthole windows in the sides of the tender for a better view of passing scenery.
-Passengers are hungry. The stoker screw has been retrofitted into a huge meat grinder. The firebox is now an oven. It will also be heated with swimming pool heaters. Who wants sausage?!

More to come as it becomes available.

-Froggie

Date: 03/30/15 14:27
Author: exopr

I'm thinking we should take it on the road.  Some would say yes, "And you can leave now!" 

Date: 03/30/15 15:00
Author: nycman

Bob Callahan, you have good taste.  The five Lackawanna Hudsons, 1151-1155, built by Alco in 1937 were definitely handsome engines (I know, Blasphemy from someone with my name).  Ditto the B & M 4-8-2s.  Lackawanna's 4-8-4s weren't bad either, but as I have stated in past "preference" threads, I loved the looks of the R.F.&P. Northerns.  There are some good Lackawanna photos in John Krause & Ed Crist's "Lackwanna Heritage 1947-1952."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/15 15:02 by nycman.

Date: 03/30/15 15:23
Author: callum_out

A little more manageable, the Rio Grande P44 Pacific (pretty much identical to the Western Maryland engine),
but as to the T1, build it and let's see you iron out the problems plaguing the earlier version. Build it with newer
lighter steels and it's only going to get worse.

Out

Date: 03/30/15 16:37
Author: exprail

This post probably made the most sense regarding a T-1...a locomotive dream which few if any will ever see on US rails outside of maybe a few short lines who have deep pockets for liability insurance and the coaches to pull behind it?

We thought the UP steam program is a ways (long ways) off this will happen in somebody's next lifetime if at all.

exprail

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.087 seconds