Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Steam & Excursion > For Some Steam Locomotives Fame only Came After Retirement!

Date: 12/10/18 03:21
For Some Steam Locomotives Fame only Came After Retirement!
Author: LoggerHogger

The irony for some locomotives was that their fame was achieved only as a result of them being retired and then being fortunate enough to find themselves saved for display in a prominent location.  Here is just such a locomotive.

Built by ALCO's Schenectady Plant in 1887 for the Santa Fe as their #590, this 0-6-0 migrated to Southern California with the Santa Fe and finally would up on their Southern California Harbor Dock & Wharf Company as it's #2.  Here it toiled in obscurity for the rest of it's life, eventually under the companies new name, Outer Harbor Terminal Ry. 

Not many railfans ever caught up with #2 in her role along the docks as she was out of sight and often working at night.  It as not until 1955 when the Southern California Chapter of the R&LHS was putting together their exhibit of locomotives that #2 was donated to them and finally achieved the fame she had missed for almost her entire working career.

Today, unlike during her days of labor, she is cold and motionless.  However, now she is seen by thousands each years.  I guess that is a fair trade-off.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/18 03:49 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/10/18 05:38
Re: For Some Steam Locomotives Fame only Came After Retirement!
Author: TonyJ

I remember photographing the 0-6-0 at the Pomona County Fairgrounds in 1961. Now I know a bit more history on it.

Date: 12/10/18 08:33
Author: asheldrake

interesting topic Martin.....I think one could also say this albout the Oregon Pony now back in Cascade Locks.   Arlen

Date: 12/10/18 08:37

Very true Arlen.

Martin

Date: 12/10/18 09:42
Author: PHall

The same could be said about 844, 3985, 4014 and 4449 too. They were just another loco when they were in service.
They didn't become "special" until later.

Date: 12/10/18 14:06

Here is a better photo of her in her current building.  Pretty hard to get a good photo of her.

Martin

Date: 12/10/18 17:34
Author: asheldrake

stay tuned...the Oregon Pony may get new digs.....on 12/6 the Port Commission approved a grand plan to fund raise and build a new visitor center / heritage center called the Cascade Locks Interpretive Center.   Arlen

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0448 seconds