Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Steam & Excursion > Skookum's Last Run on the OCSR and loading fun

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/16/19 02:34
Skookum's Last Run on the OCSR and loading fun
Author: DelMonteX

As you likely know from Martin Hansen’s post yesterday, the Skookum is on the road to Niles Canyon Railway in Sunol, CA.   Thanks to Martin’s invite, I enjoyed an incredible event and feel quite fortunate to have been able to document it. 

Other than some timing issues, and of course the rain, it came off like a well-oiled machine.  Smooth as silk! 

Before it could be loaded at the Tillamook Air Museum Blimp Hanger, it had to be moved from Garibaldi.   Cue up the “Last Run” theme!     

1) I clambered up on the roof of the engine house for this shot of the Skookum backing up to get the caboose.   Ok, it’s a drone shot.   

2) Tim Thompson, the conductor, watching the move to pick up the caboose.  Martin’s in the Fireman’s seat (Box Checked) and Scott Wickert at the throttle.   

3) Crossing the Stasek Slough near Idaville.  It was a slow run, as they had to stop frequently while a High-railer  cleared the overgrowth.   Not scratching the paint was a priority. 

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/19 02:44 by DelMonteX.

Date: 04/16/19 02:35
Re: Skookum's Last Run on the OCSR and loading fun

4) I finally got a shot of something crossing the Kilchis River.   The Skookum is as good as I could hope for.   

5) Just outside the Blimp hanger, crossing the 1907 bridge over the Trask River.     

6) The little train has arrived at It’s final stop in Oregon

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 04/16/19 02:36

7) A look down from above.   

8) Getting the ready to de-tenderize the Skookum.  Troy is a bit stuck under the tender while lots of water is invading his space.  He holds George responsible.   

9) A small trackmobile is pulling the tender away, and will take it all the way down the track to hanger door. 

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 04/16/19 02:37

10) Did I mention it was raining pretty hard?   Sort of sad to see a locomotive without it’s tender, and its smoke stack.   

11) Scott Gordon is at the throttle of the McCloud 25, which has the job of moving the Skookum up the ramp and on to the trailer.   

12) While the building of the ramp is under way, the Skookum has more water to give up. 

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/19 02:45 by DelMonteX.

Date: 04/16/19 02:38

13) After some forklift nudging from both sides, the trailer with its set of tracks is lined up with the rail.   

14) A pair of custom built ramp rails have been manufactured and bolted to a pair of longer rails.  Martin is guiding the first assembly in to place, while Scott W is the forklift jockey.   

15) Here comes the second assembly. 

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 04/16/19 02:38

16) Checking the positioning.   

17) Cribbing is ready to be installed.  They’ll get some of it done, but it’s getting late on Saturday and everyone is tired and hungry.   Before meeting for dinner, Scott W is going to make two sets of custom fishplates to secure the ramp rail to the rail on the trailer.  

18) Sunday morning and Scott’s fishplates have been installed.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 04/16/19 02:39

19) The trailer with its custom rail.   

20) The ramp is done.  It’s been checked and double checked. Confidence is high!  

21) With Scott G at the throttle of the McCloud and Martin in the fireman’s seat, the loading is underway.  Scott W is watching carefully as the trailing wheels creep up the wedges and on to the ramp.    Troy is watching the other side.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/19 02:46 by DelMonteX.

Date: 04/16/19 02:41

22) The first set of driving wheels are on the wedges and things are looking good. 

23) With Scott G’s steady hand on the throttle, the Skookum continues its slow ascent.  

24) After a brief pause to double check everything, Scott W has climbed in to the cab of the Skookum to use the air brakes to ensure a nice safe stop on the trailer.   A compressor is supplying the air.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/19 02:46 by DelMonteX.

Date: 04/16/19 02:42

25) Skookum has reached the trailer.  

26) Almost reached the “top of the hill”.  As Skookum crested the little hill, she began to pull the McCloud.  In a video I’ll be finishing soon, you can see it start to roll faster and then brought to a nice safe stop in just the right spot.   

27) The Skookum has been “spotted”.  Once the chains are in place, they’ll uncouple the flat car and pull away for the next phase. 

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/19 02:47 by DelMonteX.

Date: 04/16/19 02:43

28) An aerial view before the McCloud pulls away.  

29) Now it’s time to dismantle the ramp, at least partially.    They’ll keep the rails intact and move them out of the way to be used again shortly to load the tender.  

30) The tractor and its complex neck have been attached to the trailer.    They’ll pull around for the group photo (You can see it in Martin’s post). 

Sort of cool to be able to position a huge truck with a steam engine for a photo.  A little to the left please!    

I couldn’t wait around for the tender loading, April 15th and all, so that’s the end of my report.   

All involved should be proud of their accomplishments!

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/19 02:47 by DelMonteX.

Date: 04/16/19 03:53
Author: LoggerHogger

Steve,

Very nice coverage of several days of fun and hard work for us at OCSR.  I am glad you could make it down to capture all the action.

Shot #7 shows a pile of material next to Skookum's cab with me walking away in the blue.  That pile of material is all the tools and gloves and shop rags we emptied out of Skookum before loading her.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/19 04:43 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 04/16/19 04:26
Author: cozephyr

Marvelous coverage of Skookum's last run in Oregon-glad the rain held off for your aerial photography-!

Date: 04/16/19 09:22
Author: McCloud25

We all hold George responsible.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/16/19 10:21
Author: coach

It looks like trains don't go that way very often anymore--the rails on the bridge look very rusty.

Great photos!

Date: 04/16/19 11:52
Author: PHall

It's right on the ocean. If you go more then one day the rust starts to form.

Date: 04/16/19 13:01
Author: nycman

Thanks for your great coverage, Steve.  Good luck, Skookum.

Date: 04/16/19 16:51
Author: asheldrake

the OCSR mostly runs north from Garibaldi....I am hopeful that someday they get the Tillamook depot rehabilitated and run out of there in north Tillamook, just south of the cheese place.   going all the way to the Naval Air Station - Tillamook (blimp base) would be golden.    GREAT pictures Steve,,,,thanks for coming south!       Arlen

Date: 04/16/19 20:00
Author: mwarfel

Fantastic shots, Steve (as usual)!!  Number 3 is a true classic scene that is now my screen saver!

Date: 04/18/19 20:42
Author: schaffner

It'd really be something if Skookum could've been flown to Niles Canyon in that Guppy!

Jim Maurer

Date: 04/18/19 20:43
Author: Sasquatch

Great stuff Steve!  Thanks for covering Team Skookum's efforts to pack her up and ship her south to Sunol for the summer.  What a crew!  What a lokie!  And what a photographer, Steve!

-Tom

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.122 seconds