Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Steam & Excursion > "You Stole From Santa Claus"

Date: 09/13/19 11:05
"You Stole From Santa Claus"
Author: kbmayer

Date: 09/13/19 19:05
Re: "You Stole From Santa Claus"
Author: CPR_4000

Search on Y*u T*be for: Mary Elizabeth Lombardo Sentencing, Sept 13, 2019. This is the Steam Railroading Institute embezzlement case.

"You Stole From Santa Claus"

Judge Matthew Stewart Corunna Mi. - Mary Elizabeth Lombardo, 41, was sentenced for embezzling $228, 818.94 from the Steam Railroading Institute in Owosso, Mi. on Sept. 13, 2019, by Judge Matthew Stewart in the 35th Judicial Circuit Court - Shiawassee County. Lombardo over a 3 year period embezzled over $228,000.00 from the SRI, a non-profit, and has nothing to show for it. Lombardo also was paid $45,000.00 per year as an employee. Lombardo shredded files wiped computers and scuttled her office when she left. Lombardo had routed $76,000.00 through PayPal into her personal account. Kimberly Springsdorf, Executive Director, Steam Railroading Institute addressed the court regarding the financial damage that Lombardo had done to the SRI, home of the 1225, the Chrismas Train. Judge Stewart stated at sentencing that the sentence recommendations, 0 to 17 months by Mich. State Legislature or the 9 months recommended by the Michigan Department of Corrections were not reasonable. Judge Stewart after laying out financial obligations including restitution of $227,818.94 sentenced Lombardo to a minimum of 36 months not to exceed 180 months. Story/Video: Friends Community News Group / Tom Manke All Rights Reserved." 

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/19 19:09 by CPR_4000.

Date: 09/14/19 14:29
Author: wabash2800

I think she deserves about ten years behind bars... Will the organization really get its money back?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 09/14/19 19:29
Author: TonyJ

This is why it's worth the small expense to have regular (and sometimes surprised) aduits. 

Date: 09/15/19 04:44
Author: wcamp1472

I don’t know about this case..
But a common ‘red flag” with auditors is some combination of: the bookkeeper rarely takes a vacation, failure in policy to NOT require two (authorizing) signatures on all checks , complete ‘trust’ in a long-serving, ‘loyal employee’,
(“ I cant believe it !    I never, for a moment, thought she could DO this!) ...”
no ‘spot check’ oversight team ( a full-blown ‘audit’ is an involved & a costly process),
oversight by a committed committee is more reasonable, also, rotating the responsibilities is a common counter-measure,
Check-in with the bank officers once in a while. Be aware, be alert, have several ‘overseers”.
Financial Vigilance is crucial..

Its cheaper than this type of frequent ( and familiar) stealing from ‘small operations’, churches, charities, foundations, etc.

The temptation is great ...and it starts with small amounts...that don’t get attention..then, it always gets bigger & bigger..

W

An applicable story about a gambler that always cut-the-cards after every dealer-shuffle...before a fresh deal..
Dealer: “WHAT!!!?   Don’t you TRUST me?”
Gambler: “I Trust everybody: but, I always cut the cards...”🤠

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/19 04:53 by wcamp1472.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0501 seconds