Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Steam & Excursion > Going My Way - 4014 in Utah and Nevada

Date: 10/10/19 13:13
Going My Way - 4014 in Utah and Nevada
Author: TheNavigator

Sorry for the belated post, although “coming my way” might be more descriptive as 4014 journeyed across the Salt Lake Route on its way to my home area in SoCal.  Even so, 4014's move provided as good an excuse as any for a road trip to UP's old South Central District in Utah and Nevada, and shooting a Big Boy in action did not dissapoint.  These particular shots are all from Utah; I'll post a separate thread later on with shots from Nevada and west.

Thanks for looking,
GK

1.  First shot of the trip, Oct. 4, taken between Leamington and Lynndyl on the Sharp Sub.  The motorcade seen in the distance was larger than expected, and there were moderate crowds at every grade crossing.

2.  Down-on shot from my perch near the top of a small cut, same location as #1 above.

3.  After swinging onto the Lynndyl Sub and stopping at Delta, 4014 is at speed near Clear Lake (I believe), headed for an overnight stay at Milford.

Date: 10/10/19 13:15
Re: Going My Way - 4014 in Utah and Nevada

4.  Further west on the Lynndyl Sub, the tracks briefly curve away from State Route 257.  The highway parallels the main for about 60 miles between Milford (to the west/south) and Van (to the east/north).  There are several access points, and the pole line is on the opposite side.

5.  A typical “train shot” of a Big Boy, I think near Black Rock.

6.  Further west again, I wanted an action shot looking slightly upward and was lucky enough to have captured both sets of rods down.

Date: 10/10/19 13:15

7.  After stopping for the night of Oct. 4 at Milford, 4014’s first stop on the next day’s trip to Caliente, NV, was at the settlement of Modena.  4014 slows before coming to a stop in the middle of “town.”

8.  The crowd at Modena.  There were probably more people here this day than have ever lived in Modena throughout its history.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/19 17:06 by TheNavigator.

Date: 10/10/19 15:17
Author: blackwidowgp9

DA!  Looks like you had a GREAT trip.  Fantastic images and story!

Chuck

Date: 10/10/19 15:59
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photos, Gary.

Rich

Date: 10/10/19 17:13
Author: bradleymckay

Really nice photos Gary!  Especially like the very first one.

Allen

Date: 10/11/19 07:45
Author: bobk

Great shots!

Date: 10/11/19 16:14
Author: ns1000

I REALLY like Pic 4!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds