Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Steam & Excursion > I am depressed....

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/04/19 13:51
I am depressed....
Author: CPRR

4014 is well into Texas, and no photos or video? Is intrest waned in the almighty Big Boy?

Date: 11/04/19 13:55
Re: I am depressed....
Author: callum_out

Interesting, I was just thinking the same thing, might be the lack of background scenery!

Out

Date: 11/04/19 13:59
Author: GRNDMND

Quite a few posted on Flickr. I know that doesn't help you much here. Should have arrived in San Antonio this afternoon from Del Rio. 

KC - West Texas scenery has to "grow on" you. Or maybe grow around you...

Date: 11/04/19 14:03

Yes, Armadillo is a must visit place, maybe once!

Out

Date: 11/04/19 14:06
Author: BoilingMan

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, Armadillo is a must visit place, maybe once!
>
> Out

Ha!  I've only been there once- on a detouring Amtrak #3 in about 1985.  So I'm good.
SR

Date: 11/04/19 14:31

Between Tyson and my son in Irving TX I had more than enough of the wonderful town.

Out

Date: 11/04/19 14:39
Author: NormSchultze

No Need to take more meds.  The turn out from Uvalde, Sabinal, Hondo and LaCoste was enormous. Just about every local that was breathing was trackside and enjoying the show.  A good time was had by all.

And yes, the scenery is better in west Texas than in eastern Texas. 

Date: 11/04/19 15:07

That makes sense, there are very few people around who saw the 4000s in active service in Texas! Actually, once the AC9s left
way West Texas were there any articulateds that ran in Texas?

Out

Date: 11/04/19 15:11
Author: LarryDoyle

callum_out Wrote:
> That makes sense, there are very few people around
> who saw the 4000s in active service in Texas!

The same could be said for Minnesota, but she sure did draw crowds in St. Paul and in Duluth.

-LD

Date: 11/04/19 15:36
Author: Copy19

I suspect the issue is the lack of people in West Texas, not to mention railfans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/19 15:37 by Copy19.

Date: 11/04/19 16:17
Author: SP7615

I chased the 4014 from Sanderson to Del Rio and it a good amount of people at each stop and also trackside. Attached picture is at Eagle Nest Creek bridge just east of Langtry. This location had close to 50 people waiting on the 4014 for that one picture.

SP7615

Date: 11/04/19 20:21
Author: kurt765

Texas is big and there's a lot of relatively empty space out there away from populated areas where railfans might reside.

Date: 11/04/19 21:13
Author: Hillcrest

I have a non-railfan friend in East Texas. He has loosely organized a group of about 50 (so far) who are putting a something or other grade crossing party together for a Big Boy viewing..Dig It.

Cheers, Dave

Date: 11/04/19 21:40
Author: jbwest

Has a picture of the 4014 on the high bridge been posted?  Way back when there was a whole army of folks at this location for the 4449 westbound (remember the great tender seperation episode?).

JBWX

Date: 11/05/19 05:19
Author: NKP779

Wow!

Posted from Android

Date: 11/05/19 06:55
Author: BlackWidow

Just wait until she gets to Houston!  Texas is a big place and there are not that many people way out west.

Date: 11/05/19 08:15
Author: sptno

Super picture!
I am waiting for basically the same picture for 4014, but I think that a lot of the roads in that area are private and closed off based on my experience in the area while I was working for TxDOT, highway department.
I am going to Flatonia on Wednesday which is between San Antonio and Houston.
Trying to figure out where they are going the stop, I was there Saturday and the address doesn't make any sense, even for the locals.
Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 11/05/19 08:40
Author: displacedneb

Here on SA this morning the folks are lining up to view the engine and experience car.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/05/19 08:49
Author: NormSchultze

The second largest city in Texas is jamming St Paul Square to see the train.  Backed into the Sunset Station on the advertised.  The crowd is in a happy mood. The Cops are smiling as are the UP volunteers. 

Wait till it gets to Houston and a milliuon or more come out.

Date: 11/05/19 09:23
Author: jbwest

I do remember having to put my rental car to the test on a rough MOW road for quite some distance to get to the west end of the bridge.  I found it only because I was following some folks who new the territory.  I suspect that road is now off limits.  Plus for an eastbound 4014 I have no idea how far it would be to the east abutement, or how the light would have been when he crossed the bridge.  But it is an iconic spot for west Texas.

JBWX

sptno Wrote:
> Super picture!
> I am waiting for basically the same picture for
> 4014, but I think that a lot of the roads in that
> area are private and closed off based on my
> experience in the area while I was working for
> TxDOT, highway department.
> I am going to Flatonia on Wednesday which is
> between San Antonio and Houston.
> Trying to figure out where they are going the
> stop, I was there Saturday and the address doesn't
> make any sense, even for the locals.
> Pat
> South Austin, TX

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0563 seconds