Home Open Account Help 393 users online

Nostalgia & History > Santa Fe 3751's return to steam - Fontana, CA 1991

Date: 04/29/06 22:42
Santa Fe 3751's return to steam - Fontana, CA 1991
Author: PasadenaSub

I believe this was from the first public viewing of the Santa Fe 3751 under steam after being restored in mid-August 1991. News was out on the 'Flimsies hotline that they would be doing a few runs over the weekend on the long tangent at the southern edge of the California Steel Industries property in Fontana along San Bernardino Rd. just west of Cherry Ave, and the public was invited. This was not far from the shop where the 3751 was rebuilt, also within the Kaiser Steel compound nearby.

When I visited with my brother and a friend that weekend, I don't recall seeing the engine move. However, the crowd really turned out to welcome the big engine back to steam. It was also my first sighting of the now famous SBRHS 3751 souvenir stand. It would be another 4 months before the engine's first excursion to Bakersfield and back.

Anyone recognize themselves in the photos?

Rich

Date: 04/29/06 22:46
Re: Santa Fe 3751's return to steam - Fontana, CA 1991
Author: PasadenaSub

And a couple more...

All images scanned from Ilford XP-1 B&W negatives. IIRC, XP-1 was processed with C-41 color chemistry, which resulted in Sepia-toned prints from the drugstore.

Thanks for looking,

Rich

Date: 04/30/06 12:38
Author: GRNDMND

No Rich, I don't see myself or anyone that I know. There were hundreds of folks there that day. It's just as well that you shot this in b&w too! It was a lousy, hot, smoggy day IIRC and there was not a whole lot of color around. It was nice to see the big loco under steam however and it was definitely worth the trip. Nice photos of a great looking steam engine brought back to life!
Kevin

Date: 04/30/06 16:01
Author: nycman

Yeah. The shrouds haven't been installed over the pumps and other appliances on the pilot. An artist painted a picture of the loco in this configuration. I was fortunate enough to ride in December from Barstow to Bakersfield and return. Also four years ago at Grand Canyon. The 3751 is a beautiful restoration.

Date: 05/01/06 13:12
Author: HUSKERHERB

I was there that day armed with a borrowed camcorder to record the action. My first picture taken with the #3751 was when I was about 10 years old with my younger brother in Viaduct Park. I managed to be there in the Park the day she was removed for eventual restoration and operation.

Thanks for posting these images!

Here's an image of the #3751 leading the California Limited Special heading for Union Station prior to the official departure of the excursion to Bakersfield and return.

Date: 05/02/06 23:11
Author: NscaleMike

Great images Rich!

Date: 05/04/06 14:36
Author: lincolnnoahbaxter

During that run, my dad was the engineer on the first 8-40cw behind the unit, which I believe was ATSF # 849, starting at the Chilicothe Sub. at Ft. Madison.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0543 seconds