Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Nostalgia & History > Once Upon a Daylight (SP, Articulated)

Date: 11/04/10 10:00
Once Upon a Daylight (SP, Articulated)
Author: Westbound

SP Daylight articulated cars 2467 - 2468 were built in 1941 for the Coast Daylight. Here they are today in storage at the Orange Empire Railway Museum. You can see the articulation joint, although it appears something is missing. The 3 trucks appear well on the way to full restoration. Bad as the cars look, at least they were not scrapped.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/10 14:09 by Westbound.

Date: 11/04/10 10:01
Re: Once Upon a Daylight (SP, Articulated)

One of the three trucks.

Date: 11/04/10 12:33
Author: GenePoon

Correct numbers SP 2467-2468.

Date: 11/04/10 13:16
Author: Notch16

In pic two, you can see the wall rack for timetables and Western Union telegraph blanks. As I recall, these were kept filled until way late in the 1960's. (You filled out the telegraph blank, then gave it to the Conductor, who dropped it for dispatch at the next station.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/10 14:13 by Notch16.

Date: 11/04/10 13:22
Author: agentatascadero

Are there any plans to restore these beauties? AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 11/04/10 14:10

You are so right! I have corrected the numbers. They were built for the Coast Daylight, not the SJ.

GenePoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Correct numbers SP 2467-2468.

Date: 11/04/10 14:15

Here's the articulation joint when new... a couple of the very few Pullman-Standard pics I've had for years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/10 14:16 by Notch16.

Date: 11/04/10 21:17
Author: wharfrat

The truck looks like a Cal Western overhaul job, is that where the museum got it from?

Date: 11/04/10 22:18

I see freight-style bearings and journal mods.Couldn't find a Cal Western passenger car roster in an online search. The SPH&TS Volume One passenger car book says the car went to Amtrak in 1973. And the OERM website roster holds only this entry for Articulateds:

SP 2445-46, Articulated Chair Car, Pullman 1941, steel, later California Western 683. Owned by P.R.S. (The car by that number was actually built in late 1939, according to Volume One.) Back in 2006 there was a thread about this car, and its move from Benson AZ to OERM.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1139748,1140128#msg-1140128

Someone mentioned then that the OERM website was lagging a bit.

I also did a search for Algoma Central units; there was one listed without a former SP number being known. SP 2473-74 at Niles was a former Algoma Central car, and has dark red oxide ends and vestibules which sort of match the maroon stripe applied directly over the SP 12" scarlet one.

Does OERM have two ex-SP Artic sets? Anybody clear this up before I muddy it further? :-)

~ BZ

Pic is the joint on the Niles car, an SP application of SKF bearings dating from the 1960 era, and a view of the diaphragm buffer spring and tension rod for the modelers out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/10 22:22 by Notch16.

Date: 11/04/10 23:03
Author: ACR_Ted

Here is a photo of one of the ex-SP articulated coaches at Frater, Ontario....

It was a busy day at Frater....a passenger on the first passenger train (the Canyon Turn - aka the Agawa Canyon Tour) had a medical problem at the Canyon Park, and was stopped at Frater while the brass nuts were trying to decide what to do about it, and in the meantime the Passenger Extra South caught up to the other train. Had the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) there and the phone lines were burning. As the Agent-Operator on duty at the time it was quite the day. They sent in a chopper to get the person, but by then it was too late....

Ted

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/10 02:33 by ACR_Ted.

Date: 11/04/10 23:55

Neat photo, interesting story. That's the former SP 2496-97, built in 1937 as Texas & New Orleans 500-501 for the Dallas-Houston "Sunbeam", then transferred to the Pacific Lines in 1954.

It looks pretty sharp in this pic...

Date: 11/05/10 01:57
Author: ACR_Ted

Hi Notch16...

Thanks for the info...can I use that info on my ACR website?

Yes, that was quite the day at Frater...the brass nuts wanted to know if I was willing to be an ambulance driver at that time to take the OG to the nearest hospital (in Wawa) seeing as how I was driving a 1977 Dodge cargo van at the time, but it was too late by then to do anything to help out that guy.

All the joys of being an agent-operator in the wilds of the Canadian bush country eh :) - at least I always had a camera loaded with Kodachrome II film and ready to go when needed...

Ted

np: Live! In-Gadda_da_Vida - Iron Butterfly

Date: 11/05/10 02:29
Author: 1moose

The car(s) are owned by Pacific Railroad Society. Orange Empire has graciously allowed us to keep them on their property. A recent effort by our small group of SP passenger car fans has gotten the trucks ready for the car-bodies to be placed on them, we now look forward to coordinating this effort with OERM people soon. PRS also owns a former SP Shasta Daylight (big windows) chair car (2397) which is also at OERM. It is painted in Daylight. We also own former SP Daylight combine (I think it is 3302), it is the crispy criter that used to be at Hunters Point.

Date: 11/05/10 09:11

Great, thanks!

Is SP 2447-2448 still carrying its original stainless fluted siding? It's been a while since I've been down to OERM, and I only noticed the -67 and -68 on my last short trip there.

Date: 11/05/10 09:19
Author: WAF

Should be.

BTW, Bob, on October 31, in a series you did on interiors of cars, you showed a photo ( the first one in the series) of 2471-72 being washed at LAUPT in 1969. Can't be that number. It was fluted according to Vol 1 of the SPHTS book Coach cars on 3-31-61. Also inside that volume is a photo of 2471-72 with smooth sides.

Perhaps 2451-52?

Date: 11/05/10 09:42

Yup. SP 2451-52 definitely kept their fluting, can vouch for that. "The Vanishing American" car.

My mistake in reading the slide all those years ago (it was pretty ambiguous, I think you'll agree), and writing down the wrong number on the Kodak mount! Corrected on the original post, and thanks!

~ BZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/10 09:55 by Notch16.

Date: 11/05/10 10:20
Author: WAF

Couldn't believe the SP to re-flute a car. BNSF, yes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0633 seconds