Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Nostalgia & History > AFT Epilogue Part 2 o'5

Date: 04/24/15 10:29
AFT Epilogue Part 2 o'5
Author: BoilingMan

These photos are also from April 26, 1977 when the Amtrak Transcontinental Steam Excursion passed through Santa Barbara- my home town.
The train countiued on it's way north but I held back and took off a few days later intending to leap-frog ahead and catch the last two days of the excursion into Portland.
Not a bad plan- but one that didn't go well...

SR Bush
Dutch Flat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/15 13:49 by BoilingMan.

Date: 04/24/15 10:30
Re: AFT Epilogue Part 2 o'5

Date: 04/24/15 11:05
Author: drumwrencher

Some great memories there, SR. Thanks for posting.

Walter

Date: 04/24/15 12:16
Author: WP-M2051

Lexan lounge in pic 3.

Date: 04/24/15 12:30

Not to worry- the Minnesota Zephyr group restored the glass.  I think Iowa Pacific has the car now (former SP 3604) and if so, I think they'll take good care of it.
SR

Date: 04/24/15 13:41
Author: HotWater

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These photos are also from April 24, 1977 when the
> Amtrak Transcontinental Steam Excursion passed
> through Santa Barbara- my home town.

> SR Bush
> Dutch Flat

Please recheck your date. I'm pretty sure that we departed LAUPT and went up the Coast Route on April 26, 1977.

Great photos too.

Date: 04/24/15 13:54

Oops, you're right- in part 1 I had you into LA on the 24th, and through Oxnard on the 26th-  somehow I switch the days in this one... 
Thanks, I fixed it.
SR

Hey Jack, was that deal with Dick that night in LA?  Did I remember that right?

Date: 04/24/15 14:20
Author: HotWater

You know, I'm having trouble remembering which trip that was too. I do remember that about 4 or 5 of us have an "altercation" on the platform at LAUPT. It was late in the the afternoon and we had a perfect photo line set up on the Fireman's side of 4449, and as the beautiful sunset lighting shown on her running gear, the various Amtrak trains were coming into the station. It was really quite a nice photo looking towards the terminal interlocking tower. All of a sudden some bozo walks right out in front of us and decides to take a real close look at the main rod. We all looked at each other in disbelief, and Doyle (with his big Pentax 6X7) calmly says, something like "Just wait, and maybe he'll walk back out of the way." We waited, and waited, and waited, and the bozo just stands there! Finally another inbound train shows up, so one of says, "Excuse me sir, could you please step back so we can photograph the sunset and that inbound train?". NOTHING! Finally Dick Yager walks out of the photo line, walks up to the bozo, and explains what we are all doing, and points out the photo line with, by now two dozen photographers. I didn't hear what the guy said to Dick, but apparently Doyle did, and out he walks towards the bozo, so I followed him. Doyle starts in on this idiot, and the guy has the balls to say something to the effect that "This public property, and I'll stand here as long as I wish!". The next thing, both Dick and I can see the look in Doyle's eyes, and Dick quickly says something that "You asking for trouble pal!",  The next thing I hear is Dick telling Doyle, "Don't hit him Doyle, it isn't worth it,,,,,,don't hit him!!!!". 

About that time the Captain of the SP Special Agents walks over to us, but he is in plain street clothes, and calmly inquires as what the trouble is all about, so we explain what has been going on. With that, the bozo again says, "This is public property, and I'll stand here as long as I want, no matter about their pictures!". Well, THAT was the wrong thing to say to the SP Captain, who prom ply displays his badge, on his belt, with the gun also quit visible, and says to the bozo, "Sir, you are incorrect. This is NOT public property, it is Southern Pacific property and YOU are now trespassing! You are coming with me!". We later found out that the bozo was an attorney, and even threatened to sue everybody, but we never heard anymore about it. 

We went back to our photography.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0448 seconds