Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Nostalgia & History > CF7 in New Haven KY Aug 12 1990

Date: 08/30/15 10:10
CF7 in New Haven KY Aug 12 1990
Author: krm152

New Haven KY is a small town in the central part of the state with a population of about 900. It is located on what had once been the L&N Lebanon Branch. Due to changing traffic patterns, the line became redundant by the late 1980s. Coincidentally, KRM was in need of a new home. Jefferson County wanted to sell, for commercial development, the site KRM was leasing off Dorsey Lane. Around June 1990, CSXT deeded to KRM a portion of the Lebanon Branch. KRM’s line starts east of RR Donnelly’s plant on the east side of Lebanon Junction and terminates at New Hope, a couple miles east of New Haven. On June 24, 1990, KRM operated an equipment move to New Haven that included most of their passenger cars.

Shortly after relocating to New Haven, KRM commenced regular roundtrip rides, covering a seven mile distance, between New Haven and Boston. The photo I have attached was taken on Aug 12 1990 of KRM’s CF7 #2546 on the inbound end of the train. #152 was on the outbound end. Most of the time then, BL2 #32 covered the outbound end. Later, a run around track was constructed at Boston to eliminate the need for a two engine operation. KRM acquired #2546 from INRD around 1987. KRM has maintained this unit in the AT&SF scheme. I understand it is the only CF7 in AT&SF.

As a matter of interest, I looked up New Haven in the Index of Railroad Stations in the October 1969 Official Guide of the Railways. There are seven New Haven listings. They are: CT-PC, IN-NW, KY-LN, MI-GT, MO-MP, VT-VTR, and WV-BO.

ALLEN

Date: 08/30/15 12:16
Re: CF7 in New Haven KY Aug 12 1990
Author: Evan_Werkema

krm152 Wrote:

> KRM acquired #2546 from INRD around
> 1987. KRM has maintained this unit in the AT&SF
> scheme. I understand it is the only CF7 in
> AT&SF.

That was true for quite a while, but the Oklahoma Railway Museum repainted LAJ 2571 in full Santa Fe colors last year, so now two out of the five preserved CF7's I'm aware of are painted Santa Fe:

http://atsf.railfan.net/atsfpres/sf2571dilbeck.jpeg

The 2546 still has the distinction of being the only CF7 to have never worn anything else but Santa Fe paint, as the Indiana Railroad never repainted or even relettered the unit while they owned it.

Date: 08/30/15 15:04

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> krm152 Wrote:
>
> > KRM acquired #2546 from INRD around
> > 1987. KRM has maintained this unit in the AT&SF
> > scheme. I understand it is the only CF7 in
> > AT&SF.
>
> That was true for quite a while, but the Oklahoma
> Railway Museum repainted LAJ 2571 in full Santa Fe
> colors last year, so now two out of the five
> preserved CF7's I'm aware of are painted Santa
> Fe:
>
> http://atsf.railfan.net/atsfpres/sf2571dilbeck.jpe
> g
>
> The 2546 still has the distinction of being the
> only CF7 to have never worn anything else but
> Santa Fe paint, as the Indiana Railroad never
> repainted or even relettered the unit while they
> owned it.

Thanks very much for the update and link.
ALLEN. 

Date: 08/31/15 19:11
Author: bluesboyst

I rode that train in August of that same year.  I will have to look at my video to get the exact day....but is was around the 12th...maybe a few days before....

Date: 08/31/15 21:04

bluesboyst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I rode that train in August of that same year.  I
> will have to look at my video to get the exact
> day....but is was around the 12th...maybe a few
> days before....

What a coincidence.  Maybe you can post your video at some point in time.  I feel sure both the KRM fans and CF7 fans would like to see it.
ALLEN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds