Home Open Account Help 181 users online

Nostalgia & History > Albany Rensselaer then and now

Date: 04/28/17 13:26
Albany Rensselaer then and now
Author: march_hare

Well, it seems like I've been catching a morning train out of Albany Rensselaer for a long time.  Here are two photos, roughly 40 years apart, both taken while on my way into the Big Apple.

1)  This is from a few months back.  I've just parked my car in the multi-level garage next to the 2002 version of the station.  The next two trains to New York are lined up, ready to go.  I'll be on the one closest to the camera in about 10 minutes, after I grab my coffee.

2)  Pretty much the same view in early 1977, but taken from a vantage point on East Street a few hundred yards farther back.  That's two stations ago (the 1978 version would be just out of the right edge of the frame.)  The 2002 Taj Mahal will eventually be built in the overgrown area between the camera and the 2 E-units.  Coffee at this time had to be obtained on the train, and it was terrible.  Now there's a pretty good vendor in the station, which is good, because there's no on board food or drink service for trains that originate at Albany.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/17 13:33 by march_hare.

Date: 04/29/17 05:38
Re: Albany Rensselaer then and now
Author: 8notch

Pretty neat seeing the same shot 40 years apart.
Robert

Date: 04/30/17 18:33
Re: Albany Rensselaer then and now
Author: lowerberth

40 years and still can't figure out how to clean the locomotives!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0317 seconds