Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Nostalgia & History > UP in interesting times

Date: 06/23/18 12:30
UP in interesting times
Author: FT

UP was always full of interesting things to see.

313-B seems ready to take a train out of Pocatello, ID in 3/73. I'm sure they brought out additional power at some point, but this made
for a "stop right here" moment. By me.

The loss of a caboose bringing up the rear has made train watching lees interesting. Here at Motanic, OR, Blue Mountains.11/10/84
Thought they would always be there. By me.

UP had real class in some freight cars. Plug door, 50', 490023. by Forrest Hadley 6/77

Keith A (ft)

Date: 06/23/18 13:34
Re: UP in interesting times
Author: Korigaoka1811

The first picture looks weird but the third is one beautiful boxcar!

John

Date: 06/23/18 14:14
Author: Fiftyfooter

I second that! Perfect!

Date: 06/23/18 14:45
Author: spnudge

The unit shown must have been dead,going to shops for repair. Its a calf with just hostling controls, if that. 

Date: 06/23/18 15:16
Author: rrman6

Korigaoka1811 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first picture looks weird but the third is one
> beautiful boxcar!
>
> John

And the boxcar with 'NO UGLY GRAFFITTI'. The better times have been seen...hate and ugliness whereever seems to rule today!  Our God promises much better!!😊

Date: 06/23/18 17:51
Author: Larry020

Keith  

Thanks for sharing the great photos.   

E. Forrest Hadley gave a slide show at our club (East Bay Model Engineers Society) once or maybe three times around the mid to late 80’s.  At the time he said that he had shot over 50,000 slides.  I thought that it made my collection of 3,500 seem small.  I think I went on to shoot around 5,000, most of it Kodachrome 64.  But I digress.  

Forrest said that he was never a modeler, he just liked railfan photography.  Once during a slide show, he said that if he couldn’t hike in at least a few miles, it wasn’t worth taking a shot.  Myself and fellow club member John Holmes (not that guy, a different John Holmes) looked at each other and whispered at the same time “Sometimes I don’t get out of the car.”  I then added, “With my new autofocus camera I can shoot one handed while driving at 70.”  It was autofocus, and automatic exposure.   That’s something I no longer have to worry about with my iPhone camera, but it doesn’t shoot slides.

ʎɹɹɐ˥

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/18 09:24 by Larry020.

Date: 06/24/18 08:34
Author: EMDSW-1

spnudge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The unit shown must have been dead,going to shops
> for repair. Its a calf with just hostling
> controls, if that. 

I think you meant “B unit” but wouldn’t,t you love switching an industry with one of those. I”ll take an F unit any day.

Dick Samuels

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds