Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Nostalgia & History > BN's first freight car - update

Date: 09/14/18 14:00
BN's first freight car - update
Author: FT

On the 12th ,TS745 asked about the first freight car painted BN. There was a correct reply about this car, but no photo. I was in Minneapolis with a WGRF fan group. It was a real surprise
to come upon this 317410. This was 5/29.68, and the merger was held off till March of '70. I had quite a time locating the slide, or I would of posted this sooner. As was
noted in the earlier post, this was done for the board of directors. I would guess the BN must of been changed to another reporting mark before it could go out on the road.

Keith A (ft)

Date: 09/14/18 14:07
Re: BN's first freight car - update
Author: valmont

Lot of references to 'rare' on TO, but I'd say this may set the gold (or should I say green?) standard!

Date: 09/14/18 17:00
Author: gonx

Thanks for taking the time to find this. A true gem!

Date: 09/14/18 17:35
Author: 4489

Was the final font a bit different than this?

Thanks for the neat post!

Date: 09/14/18 18:40
Author: clem

4489 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was the final font a bit different than this?
>
> Thanks for the neat post!

The strokes are a bit thick; most noticeable on the B and the Os. Looks like they nailed the logo, though. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/18 18:41 by clem.

Date: 09/14/18 20:41
Author: krm152

This is beyond rare; it is unique.
Thanks for posting this gem.
ALLEN

Date: 09/14/18 21:04
Author: 567Chant

A modeler would mask the coupler before painting.
Oh, wait, I forgot the modeler's mantra: there is always a prototype for (nearly) every configuration.
...Lorenzo

Date: 09/15/18 07:17
Author: aehouse

Amazing to think that GN was still in the process of painting passenger cars in their Big Sky Blue scheme at the same time.

Art House

Date: 09/15/18 13:02
Author: TS735

Keith, that is positively astounding. I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to share it with us. Like I said, when I origionaly asked the question, I had no idea as to the back story behind the multiple other “firsts”. This one is hands down the unequivocal first. The education I receive here on Trainorders is certainly worth the cost of membership. Thank you.

Ryan Barber
Stockton, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0318 seconds