Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Nostalgia & History > Various Electric Railroad Vehicles -- Rick Burn

Date: 10/05/18 22:11
Various Electric Railroad Vehicles -- Rick Burn
Author: MartyBernard

1. Chicago Aurora & Elgin Car 413 in the Wheaton, IL Shops in August 1960.  It probably had been sitting right there since shut down in 1957.

2. Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee 720 and others stored at Highwood, IL in August 1963.  They had probably been sitting there for the 8 months since shut down.   720 led the last southbound train on January 21.

3. The Chicago Transit Authority Evanston Shuttle near the South Blvd. stop in Evanston, IL in November 1962.

Continued ....

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/18 12:40 by MartyBernard.

Date: 10/05/18 22:14
Re: Various Electric Railroad Vehicles -- Rick Burn

4. Illinois Terminal 415 at the Illinois Electric Railway Museum in North Chicago, IL in August 1960.

5. Penn Central Metroliner 803, Glen Burnie, MD in September 1969.

6. The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Transport Co. Steeple Cab L10 in St. Francis, WI in October 1967.  Tom Hoffmann photo, Rick Burn collection

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/18 22:18 by MartyBernard.

Date: 10/06/18 01:45
Author: ClubCar

Marty, the Pennsylvania R.R. photo of the Metro Liner is definately not Glen Burnie as the railroad does not come near there.  The Baltimore & Annapolis R.R. came through Glen Burnie, Maryland.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 10/06/18 05:10
Author: GPutz

Thanks for the great, nostalgic images, Marty.  In the third one the s/b Evanston Shuttle has just departed the Main Street station, visible in the distance with a n/b car.  The C&NW Main Street station is out of view to the left.  The key location identifiers are the hose drying tower of the (now) Firehouse Grill visible above the shuttle and the Evanshire Hotel, now the Evanston Apartments, on Main Street.  In '70-'72 I lived on Lee Street just north of Main.  In '75-'79 I lived in the Tudor Park Apartments buil on the site of the CNS&M yard, shop and office in Highwood; and in '00 -'01, while living in California and moving to Maryand, I taught test method validation classes in the Moraine Hotel, also built on the CNS&M property in Highwood.  Gerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/18 05:10 by GPutz.

Date: 10/06/18 06:38
Author: JPB

Wow! Which one is not like the others?!?

Date: 10/06/18 06:54
Author: cr7998

Marty - thanks for sharing.  As already noted, the Metroliner pic is not at Glen Burnie, which was on the Baltimore & Annapolis.  I believe this shot is a westbound train at at Glenn Dale, MD, at the Route 193 grade crossing.  

Date: 10/06/18 10:24
Author: intermodalres

Very nice pictures!  Looks like CA&E 413 is in the process of being rebuilt.  I had heard that one or two were in the process of rebuild when the railroad shut down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/18 10:24 by intermodalres.

Date: 10/06/18 12:01
Re: PC
Author: timz

Dunno which crossing the Metroliner is at,
but I'm guessing it's northward.

Date: 10/06/18 12:41

I just learned North Shore 720 led the last southbound train on January 21.     Marty

Date: 10/06/18 16:01
Author: MW4man

The position of the cat pole away from track 3 says the train is southbound, the long tangent behind tells me it is probably Glen Dale road. 

timz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dunno which crossing the Metroliner is at,
> but I'm guessing it's northward.

Date: 10/06/18 16:01
Author: 3rd_Raton

cr7998 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Marty - thanks for sharing.  As already noted,
> the Metroliner pic is not at Glen Burnie, which
> was on the Baltimore & Annapolis.  I believe this
> shot is a westbound train at at Glenn Dale, MD, at
> the Route 193 grade crossing.  

I'm thinking Stony Runn road crossing just south of the persent day BWI station.

Date: 10/06/18 22:39
Author: Atlpete

These are all beauties, but I am curious about the Metroliner, if it's 1969 wouldn't it still have a black PC's on the left flank of the cab end?
or not?
Clearly I don't know enough minutae regarding these fascinating MU's, especially their transistional appearence from their service introduction to the Amttrak regime

Date: 10/07/18 18:23
Author: superchief1944

I think the second photo of the CA&E Chicago Limited is "one for the ages". Sad to see her sort of abandoned, but still looking elegant and ready to run.

Date: 10/25/18 10:32
Re: Metroliner
Author: timz

Stony Run Rd looks good for the Metroliner pic.
The two higher-speed tracks were the east two
of the three tracks there, unlike the crossings
further south. When Amtrak eliminated Vern
(1980s?) the east track became the low-speed
track at Stony Run Rd.

Barriger pic of the same xing, looking N

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12331413293/in/album-72157640558561145/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/18 10:36 by timz.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0705 seconds