Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Nostalgia & History > What is this history of this SP Coach?

Date: 03/28/20 08:06
What is this history of this SP Coach?
Author: bandob

Seen on the private car tracks in St. Louis Union Station, June 2018. Is this a former Sunset Limited car?  Any advice appreciated.

B&OBill

Date: 03/28/20 08:53
Re: What is this history of this SP Coach?
Author: daylightdon

Beautiful coach Bill-and a beautiful location!

I'm an Espee fan and at first glance the obvious answer is it is part of the original consist of the Sunset Limited which I understand was the railroad's last investment in intercity passenger cars. However, something about this car does not look "Espee" and makes me think it came from an Eastern road.

I'll let one of the experts step in and give you a better answer.

Date: 03/28/20 09:09
Author: Topfuel

Yes, this is one of the ex-SP Sunset Limited coaches built in 1954.  The major spotting feature vs the 1950-built cars are the outside swing hanger trucks.  Also, for the modelers out there note that this car is a handicap conversion by Amtrak so the window arrangement at the B end (handbrake or vestibule end in this case) where the restroom was located has been modified. 

Date: 03/28/20 10:13
Author: alcoc636

The font used for the name "SOUTHERN PACIFIC" in the letterboard does not appear to match the original Southern Pacific name used on this equipment. The large rectangle below the window line is a spotting feature for SP Sunset Limited cars. Still a very nice looking car!

Tim Dickinson
La Verne, CA

Date: 03/28/20 10:23
Author: daylightdon

Good point, Tim. The Espee font was extended, or stretched, making the letters longer. I believe there is a formal name for that font.

Also, although the US flags are a great addition, this car would have simply said "Coach" in that area in smaller type.

Overall, still a great restoration.

Don

Date: 03/28/20 10:27
Author: dan

cars owned by mid america leasing, they have adopted the tomato stripe for their rolling stock when not wrapped in a customers scheme

Date: 03/28/20 19:53
Author: TexasEagle77

Was told that they called it "Extended Times New Roman" by the folks at the Austin Steam Train many years ago. They used it on the PRR P70's they used to own to be similar to SP Harriman Cars.

Ricky
Austin, Texas

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds