Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Nostalgia & History > Caption this outré scene!

Date: 11/11/20 17:08
Caption this outré scene!
Author: santafe199

When this image came outta my Epson scanner I just didn’t know what to think. Is this a hobo? Is this guy looking for something? Is he lost? What-the-blank is he smiling at? Or is that a grimace? Is that a chef’s apron he’s wearing? Then it dawned on me: I DON’T NEED to know! I can just turn this into a “Caption This” thread… (ain’t I a stinker… ;^)

Did Mr Magoo get a job as a waiter, lose his way to work and now thinks he’s bending over a patron with a menu…

1. Place: CRI&P tracks in Clay Center, KS. Date: September 1, 1963. And that’s ALL I know
(Original B/W negative by Fred Schmidt, from the Art Gibson collection)

Are you ready to order, sir?
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/23 01:47 by santafe199.

Date: 11/11/20 17:14
Re: Caption this outré scene!
Author: railstiesballast

Is his hand on the operating lever handle for the ground throw switch which has that tall lamp?

Date: 11/11/20 17:21
Author: agentatascadero

Poor Mr MacGoo thought he was picking from his organic garden.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 11/11/20 18:00
Author: camelot7unplugged

Multi purpose broom, good for sweeping the snow out of the switch poins in the winter and  sweeping debrie from weeds out in the summer ...

Date: 11/12/20 17:06
Author: cr7998

Lance - what an uncanny resemblance to Mr. Magoo.  I recall that a feature of that cartoon character was his gross nearsightedness, which put him into all kinds of troubling situations, but he always managed to somehow survive.  Perhaps the Rock Island overlooked the vision test when they hired him.  A possible caption might be "Mr Magoo earns a living after cartoons".  

Those classic freight cars in the background are great, especially the New York Central car with the Early Bird herald.  NYC introduced its "Early Bird" freight schedules in the mid-1950's.  NYC applied the herald to some of the 50-foot boxcars that were in that service.  Trucks and intermodal rail service ate away at the LCL and carload freight business which the Early Bird service was pursuing, and the boxcars eventually wound up in general freight service throughout the national rail system. 

Steve Salamon
Valley City, OH.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/20 17:08 by cr7998.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds