Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Nostalgia & History > trackmaps:San Francisco Railroads for Google Earth...Quick Look

Date: 11/13/20 18:38
trackmaps:San Francisco Railroads for Google Earth...Quick Look
Author: phthithu

Here's a quick look at a research tool for folks interested in San Francisco railroads. It's free, requires Google Earth desktop or Google Earth Pro and can be downloaded here: 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1sRqRawRTmI-YK1tqfcL7uitHwFen_2ph

The collection has trackmaps for Ocean Shore, ATSF, WP, and SP. Also 1948, 1965, and 1974 aerial mosaics. The 1948 mosaic is really nice, lots of detail to zoom in on. 

SP trackmap is based on 1966 SPINS plus any additions added by 1974. 
ATSF is based on the 1974 aerial mosaic. 
WP is based on a mix of sources, basically around 1960. I think the 25th St. yard might be based on 1974 aerial. 

There are also SPINS layers with industry names and spots info. Same thing for the WP. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/20 18:56 by phthithu.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/13/20 21:00
Re: trackmaps:San Francisco Railroads for Google Earth...Quick Lo
Author: mococomike

Wow great work.

Date: 11/13/20 22:43
Author: gnguy

That was awesome.  I grew up there and didn't realize there were so many trains in the city.

Mike Stewart
Oakley, CA

Date: 11/14/20 10:30
Author: Milwaukee

Well done. Can you do one for the east bay Richmond down to Oakland/Alameda? A ton has changed on that side of the bay as well and I've lost track of it all.

Date: 11/14/20 12:21
Author: phthithu

Milwaukee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well done. Can you do one for the east bay
> Richmond down to Oakland/Alameda? A ton has
> changed on that side of the bay as well and I've
> lost track of it all.'

Track Map Co. hasn't released an East Bay collection. Hopefully they will! Peninsula is needed as well. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0374 seconds